The Collingwood Historical Society has had an active involvement in the heritage planning for the City of Yarra and previously for the City of Collingwood (Abbotsford, Clifton Hill and Collingwood) over the past 25 years or so. We were members of the committee for the City of Collingwood Urban Conservation Study by Andrew Ward in the 1980s. We have been members of a number of the City of Yarra’s heritage review committees. We are deeply concerned that the historical and heritage value of the area be respected for the benefit of future generations, both the natural heritage of the Yarra River and the built heritage.
Below is a list of some of the planning and heritage sites we have been involved with in recent years. More information about the proposed developments may be found on the Yarra Council website. Some sites are also on the Victorian Heritage Register.
- Johnston St Local Area Plan (Amendment C220)
- 247-259 Johnston St (St Crispin House). Proposed 17 storey development. Rejected by VCAT. Subsequent 12 storey proposal.
- 647-649 Victoria St. Proposed 10 storey development on Yarra bank next to Walmer St footbridge.
- 10-16 Trenerry Crescent (former Yarra Falls Mills), multi storey residential development on the banks of the Yarra.
- 677 Victoria St (former Honeywell site). Large-scale development in sensitive riverside area.
- 1 South Tce (Sambell Lodge redevelopment). Demolition of St Andrew’s Church was accepted by VCAT.
- 47 Ramsden St (former Marshall’s butchers).
- 139 Queens Pde (former Normandy Hotel).
- 217-241 Queens Parade (proposal for 12 storey development within heritage overlay)
- 107 Cambridge St , (former Foy & Gibson complex). Large-scale visible development.
- 62 Easey St/259 Wellington St (former Portsea House site)
- 34-38 Otter St , St Joseph’s Church. Proposal to demolish rather than repair the fire-damaged church. Collingwood’s oldest church. Demolition refused by VCAT.
- 1-21 Robert St (former Yorkshire Brewery). Development with 17, 14 and 10 storey towers around the landmark brew tower.