Hotel:Laird O'Cockpen Hotel
Hotel ID No46
149 Gipps Street
Most Recent Name:
Laird O'Cockpen Hotel (1869 to present)
149 Gipps Street
Status of Building:
1888/89; 1989/95 Conservation Study suggests possibly re-built around 1912
Heritage Victoria Register:
National Trust Register:
Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:
Part A, pp.155-156
City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:
Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed within precinct
City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:
Maps: Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1312, 1901
The name derives from a traditional Scottish song. The 1880s photos show a single storey corner building. In November 1888 architect Sydney Smith invited tenders for the pulling down and re-building of the Laird ( Building Engineers and Mining Journal 17 Nov 1888, supplement 7) .
The hotel was bought by the Burton Brewery, and then in 1912 Carlton & United Breweries acquired it.
The current building is brick, two storeys, with neo-classical detail and facade treatment. The brickwork has been overpainted, and ground floor windows and doors have been altered.
The Laird o' Cockpen
The laird o' Cockpen, he's proud an' he's great,
His mind is ta'en up wi' things o' the State;
He wanted a wife, his braw house to keep,
But favour wi' wooin' was fashious to seek.
Down by the dyke-side a lady did dwell,
At his table head he thought she'd look well,
McClish's ae daughter o' Claversha' Lee,
A penniless lass wi' a lang pedigree.
His wig was weel pouther'd and as gude as new,
His waistcoat was white, his coat it was blue;
He put on a ring, a sword, and cock'd hat,
And wha could refuse the laird wi' a' that?
(and many more verses to follow)