Hotel:Tubal Cain Hotel

Hotel ID No85

Hotel Address:

26 Hoddle Street, southeast corner Greenwood Street
Abbotsford 3067
Australia
Map It

Suburb:

Abbotsford

Most Recent Name:

Tubal Cain Hotel (1896 - 1911 or 1912)

Previous Name(s):

Tubal Cain Hotel (1865 - 1894), Hoddle Arms Hotel (1894 - 1896)

Hotel Address:

26 Hoddle Street, southeast corner Greenwood Street
Abbotsford 3067
Australia
Map It

When Built/Licenced:

1865

When Delicensed:

1911 or 1912

Status of Building:

Demolished in the 1920s. Current building on site is commercial premises

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1311, 1901; Map 38, 1897

Comments:

Tubal Cain, the son of Lamech and Zillah and a descendant of Cain, was the 'forger of all instruments of bronze and iron' (Genesis 4:22) and thus the ancestor of metalworkers. He is sometimes referred to as the first blacksmith. There is also a Masonic connection.

In 1894 permission was granted to change the name to the Hoddle Arms Hotel, but it was changed back to the Tubal Cain within a few years.

The timber hotel became a residence for some years after its closure. The current building on the site housed Maroon Motor Services from the 1920s until the 1970s.