383-385 Victoria Street,
Crown Hotel (1912 - 1923)
East Collingwood Hotel (1872 - 1912)
Part C, p. 651 and 660
Volume 2, Building Citations, Part II, pp. 375-376
HO59. Individually significant.
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1310, 1901
The hotel was constructed for Irishman John Falvey, who owned a number of properties in neighbouring Lithgow Street. He may even have done some of the building, as he was a contractor. Ownership of the hotel remained in the family after his death in 1877, and for several years in the 1890s his widow Maria was the licensee; after her death in 1893 Miss Julia Falvey ran the hotel.
It is a good example of the Italianate style applied to a commercial building, with unusually detailed facades in intact condition.