Derby Street, Collingwood, near Oxford Street; later southeast corner of Langridge Street and Oxford Street, Collingwood
Clifton Hotel (1853 - 1914)
Demolished by 1937
Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail plan 1208, 1899
The original hotel was a stone building with ten rooms (Rate Book 1864, 1868) facing Derby Street, next door to the Clifton Assembly Rooms where a school was conducted from 1856 to 1877. It was many years later that Langridge Street was extended through from Wellington Street to Smith Street and created a direct link with Gertrude Street. The owner perhaps thought that this through road would be a more prominent site than Derby Street, and shortly after the road was completed Thomas Watts and Sons called for tenders for the erection of a two storey hotel on the corner of Langridge and Oxford streets ( The Argus 14 August 1883, p. 3). It is possible that the new hotel was built on the same plot of land, but facing the opposite direction.
It was closed by a decision of the Licenses Reduction Board. Around 1937 a building was constructed taking up the whole of the site from Derby Street to Langridge Street on the site formerly occupied by the hotel buildings.