Hotel:Clifton Hill Hotel
Queen's Parade (possibly site of number 105)
Clifton Hill Hotel (1872 - 1884)
Daniel O'Connell Hotel (1869 - 1871)
Part B, pp.475-476
Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: N; MMBW: N/A
The original name refers to the Irish political leader who campaigned for Catholic emancipation. The first publican was William Wainwright, followed by Eliza and Bridget Wainwright. The name Clifton Hill for the northern section of the municipality of Collingwood came into use in 1871, making the change of name very timely. This old hotel was leased for use as the Clifton Hill Police Station after the 1880s publican, Frederick Warming, built his own two-storey hotel a few doors to the west (see 20B).