Perry Street, south side between Bedford & Wellington streets
Hotel ID No
Most Recent Name:
Exchange Hotel (1868 - 1875)
Sawyers Arms Hotel (1854 - 1867)
Status of Building:
Heritage Victoria Register:
National Trust Register:
Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:
City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:
City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900 (possibly - not identified)
A wooden hotel with nine rooms (Rate Book 1867). The first publican was Edward Jones; in the 1860s Elijah Horwood was the licensee here before moving to the Commercial Hotel Smith Street in 1869.
In October 1871 there was an auction of furniture and fittings at the hotel; these included a bagatelle table with its cues, balls and fittings; parlour, dining room and bedroom furniture; bar utensils and fixtures, beer engine, and plated ware; kitchen requisites. All were to be sold without reserve, cash sales only. ( The Argus, 7 October 1871, p. 2).
In May of the following year the building itself was put up for sale by auctioneer G.D. Langridge, because the owner John Barnett was moving to Sydney. On land 50 feet by 100 feet, the 'most desirable property' was leased for five years at 52 pounds per annum and described as 'well worthy the attention of brewers, capitalists, etc, as a snug trade is always to be commanded, being immediately at the rear of the Court-house, Council chambers, &c'. ( The Argus, May 1872, p. 3)
Despite these advantages, the hotel ceased to function within a few years of the auction. Later uses of timber buildings in the vicinity included a night shelter for men, owned by Miss Singleton, and a laundry, but so far it has not been possible to establish whether either of these took over the old hotel.