Stanley Street, south side, corner Cambridge Street
Caledonian Hotel (1868 - 1870)
Good Samaritan Hotel (1866 - 1867)
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Not verified
This hotel was listed as a wooden hotel with eight or nine rooms (Rate Book 1867, 1870). The publican was kept under the watchful eye of the local police:
SUNDAY TRADING AT CALEDONIA HOTEL, STANLEY ST
At the East Collingwood Police Court, William Sharp appeared for selling liquor on a Sunday at the Caledonia Hotel. The defendant was described from the witness box as the keeper of a shanty, but the police seemed to find it difficult to catch him tripping, in the way of Sunday trading, from the fact that it was the practice on Sundays to view the customers through a small hole, cut in the door and glazed, before giving them admission. Sergeant Fenton had seen a woman enter the house with a jug under her apron and come out again, where upon he entered.
Sergeant Fenton, on Sunday last, managed to get in without undergoing this preliminary survey, and found three men in the parlour drinking beer and two in the bar, the landlord behind the bar. For the defence, it was sworn by one of the three men that the whole of them were lodgers and that they did not pay for the beer, as it was given to them with their lunch. There was no evidence to show that the other two men were drinking, so the Bench dismissed the case, although, as they said, they had no doubt in their own minds that the drinks were sold and paid for.
( The Argus 8 October 1870 )