Hotel:Bendigo Hotel

Hotel ID No9

Hotel Address:

125 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Suburb:

Collingwood

Most Recent Name:

Bendigo Hotel (1888 - present)

Previous Name(s):

Collingwood Arms Hotel (1871-1887)

When Built/Licenced:

1871

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Demolished and rebuilt 1911

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part A, pp. 282-284

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed within precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: 1197 & 1198, 1899 (Note wrongly labelled Bedford Hotel)

Comments:

Carlton Brewery bought the hotel in 1887. They demolished and replaced the old two-storey corner building in 1911, after purchasing additional land to increase the exposure to Johnston Street. The current hotel was built in an Art Nouveau influenced style, designed by Sydney Smith and Ogg.

An excellent photograph taken by Wolfgang Sievers in 1964 shows the distinctive 1911 style as it was meant to look. By the time John T Collins photographed the building in the early 1980s, paintwork had obscured the distinctive red brick and cement exterior but the overall design with two corner towers remains very striking.

The current hotel has a website at http://www.bendigohotel.com.au