Hotel:Beresford Arms Hotel

Hotel ID No10

Hotel Address:

Langridge Street, northeast corner Rokeby Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Suburb:

Collingwood

Most Recent Name:

Beresford Arms Hotel (1868 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

18681908

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

n/A

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1201, 1899

Comments:

The hotel opened in 1868 with a bar, two sitting rooms and three bedrooms. Local drinkers were well-served, as the Lord Nelson was already situated on the southeast corner of the intersection. It was closed by a ruling of the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, when it was described as a very old, dilapidated, one-storey wooden structure, very poorly furnished. Constable Carlin stated that during the last seven years the hotel had been noted for trading in prohibited hours. Whenever he approached the place on Sundays, a number of men round about it scurried away, and it was common to see people coming through holes in the fence which enclosed a vacant piece of land adjoining the hotel. Another deposition described the Beresford Arms as 'the meeting place of undesirable characters, particularly after dark and on Sundays'. ( The Argus, 19 February 1908, p. 4)

It was hardly surprising, after such evidence, that the hotel was ordered to be closed.