Hotel:Crown and Anchor Hotel

Hotel ID No26

Hotel Address:

Langridge Street, northwest corner Rokeby Street
c 3066
Australia
Map It

Suburb:

Collingwood

Most Recent Name:

Crown and Anchor Hotel (1883 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

Lord Nelson Hotel (1864? - 1873), Glasgow Arms Hotel (1873 - 1878), Yorkshire Arms Hotel (1878 - 1882)

When Built/Licenced:

1868

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899

Comments:

The early history of this hotel is shrouded in mystery and needs more research. We know that by 1864 it was housed in a brick building owned and conducted by Richard Peters, and that by 1868 it was called the Lord Nelson Hotel. It may have existed prior to 1864, and it may have had a different name in its first years of existence.

At a sitting of the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, it was described as 'damp, dirty and dilapidated'. It contained nine rooms, was poorly furnished, and had no accommodation for lodgers. The owner explained that he had not spent any money on improvements because the hearing was imminent, but was of the opinion that given its central position, with improvements it would make a good hotel. ( The Argus, 21 February 1908, p. 3)