Hotel ID No30
ambridge Street, northwest corner of Mason Street
Most Recent Name:
Exchange Hotel (1866 - 1871)
Status of Building:
Demolished c.1873. The State school built on the site opened in September 1877.
Heritage Victoria Register:
National Trust Register:
Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:
City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:
Following the passing of the 1872 Education Act, the authorities investigated suitable buildings and sites in the area for the large new school which would be necessary to house the additional children attending compulsory school. Existing school buildings were deemed unsuitable, and towards the end of 1873 the Ministry of Education began the process of purchasing freehold properties in the block bounded by Cambridge Street and Mason Street, including this timber building with seven rooms (Rate Book 1867). Mr Upton, who was the last publican, may have wished he had been able to wait for the opportunity. In 1870 he was charged with Sunday trading; in 1871 he was declared insolvent, the cause being cited as 'dullness of trade'. ( The Argus, 25 January 1871, supplement p. 2).