Abbotsford Hotels Listing

Abbotsford Hotel Listing:

Below is a listing of Abbotsford Hotels. Please click a hotel to find out more details.


Hotel ID No80
Hotel Address:

[375] later 413 Johnston Street, southeast corner Clarke Street
Abbotsford 3067
Map It



Most Recent Name:

Studley's (1987 - 1990s)

Previous Name(s):

Early Bird Hotel (1865 - 1922), Studley Park Hotel (by 1923 - 1986)

Hotel Address:

[375] later 413 Johnston Street, southeast corner Clarke Street
Abbotsford 3067
Map It

When Built/Licenced:


When Delicensed:


Status of Building:

VIT Cafe, where hospitality students undertake practical training in the kitchen.



Heritage Victoria Register:


National Trust Register:


Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:


City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:


City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:



Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1285, 1901


A small single storey hotel strategically placed near the Studley Park Bridge, the original hotel was associated with the Crown Brewery once located just behind it. The earlier photo shows a slightly disreputable looking pub; by 1918 it had a wide verandah extending over the footpath. The two storey hotel built in 1925 was brick with a horizontal rendered band and cornice separating the upper and lower floors, a tiled dado and stained glass windows. A corner pediment had the date 1925 at the top, and panels of concrete render on both street frontages had the name "Studley Park Hotel" in raised letters. The parapet concealed the roof. On the upper level of the Johnston Street frontage there was a loggia with brick piers, a small balcony extending over the footpath. At first glance the existing building is almost unrecognisable, after extensive alterations in the late twentieth century. The most noticeable change is the extensive use of glass at both levels in the corner section. In addition the pediment has been substantially changed, all the windows have been altered, the doors have been re-positioned and the dado is painted. These changes probably happened at the time its name was changed to Studley's. A lunch review in 1989 described it as having undergone a lot of recent refurbishment, spacious, plenty of daylight, all soft pinks and greys .. unfortunately the reviewer's view of the food, wine list, and service did not match the decor. ( The Melbourne Times, 23 August 1989, p. 19). Studley's, which was owned by Collingwood footballer Peter Daicos, also provided evening entertainment, with bands several nights a week.

After the demise of Studley's, the old hotel became the site for Watson and Di Palma, a short-lived partnership in the mid- 2000s between Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar and Di Palma restaurateurs. It is now conducted by the Victoria Institute of Technology.

Latest News

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Annual General Meeting and Guest Speaker

    23 August @ 6:30 am - 9:30 pm AEST
Share This