Collingwood Hotels Listing

Collingwood Hotel Listing:

Below is a listing of Collingwood Hotels. Please click a hotel to find out more details.

Hotel:Limerick Castle Hotel

Hotel ID No48
Hotel Address:

Johnston Street (grounds of former Collingwood Technical School)
Collingwood 3066
Map It



Most Recent Name:

Limerick Castle Hotel (1907 -1914)

Previous Name(s):

Quarryman's Arms (1854 - 1870), Engineers Arms (1871 - 1906)

Hotel Address:

Johnston Street (grounds of former Collingwood Technical School)
Collingwood 3066
Map It

When Built/Licenced:


When Delicensed:


Status of Building:




Heritage Victoria Register:


National Trust Register:


Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:


City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:


City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:



Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900


The original Quarryman's Arms was a stone building; its first licensed victualler was Thomas Opie. At the time of its auction in May 1877 it comprised 11 rooms, bar, a lodge-room suitable for Oddfellows meetings, a ten stall stable and a cemented underground tank.

The hotel was rebuilt in 1889 and can be seen in a c.1912 photograph, which shows an ornate two-storey brick building with the construction date on the corner section of the pediment. Although not on a street corner, the architect has made good use of the narrow right of way to create a desirable splayed corner entrance. Publicans James and Margaret Tonini stand in the doorway. The hotel incorporated a tobacconist and barber's on the ground floor, and Tonini ran this business before moving into hotelkeeping around 1911. (There is an anomaly about the photograph, in that only the name Engineers' Arms can be seen, not the new name Limerick Castle).

Prior to Tonini's arrival, licensee Mrs Annie Featherby found herself the target of criticism at the Licensing Reduction Board sittings on 6 March 1908. The pub was suspected of Sunday trading, after-hours trading, and gambling (the latter also supposedly taking place at the tobacconist's), though nothing had been proved and no charges laid. While the hotel escaped closure at this time, it was closed down at a later round in 1914. John Wren's tote at what is now 148 Johnston Street, not far from this hotel, had been closed down in January 1907, so local punters would have been glad of another gambling outlet! (See Wren's tote )

The tobacconist and barber's business continued after the hotel ceased functioning. James (Jim) Tonini became a Collingwood councillor from 1918 to 1934 (Mayor in 1923-24) and from 1936 to 1947. The hotel building was eventually demolished to make way for the expansion of Collingwood Technical School.

Latest News

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Annual General Meeting and Guest Speaker

    23 August @ 6:30 am - 9:30 pm AEST
Share This