Collingwood Notables Database
Ivor Withall Trescowthick
Shoe manufacturer, founder of Julius Marlow
When Collingwood was the capital of Australia’s footwear industry, the Trescowthick family were a prominent part of the local trade. Ivor Trescowthick was the nephew of the prominent boot manufacturer, Charles Trescowthick. Ivor started his own shoe factory, not far from his uncle’s, in 1928 and later started the Julius Marlow brand, still sold today.
At the age of 21 he opened his first factory in the delicensed Phoenix Hotel at 267 Wellington Street, but soon moved to 59 Alexandra Parade, Collingwood. Both buildings still stand. The latter featured in various local news reports; for example, The Argus (2 Oct 1930) reported five men charged after a break in: ‘The factory of Ivor Trescowthick Pty. Ltd., in Alexandra Parade, was entered, and boots and shoes valued at £550 were removed.’ In 1934 the press reported ‘Fire destroyed the shoe factory of Ivor Trescowthick at Collingwood early this morning, causing £5,000 worth of damage. Adjoining houses were menaced for a time, but the fire brigade saved them’ (17 Sep 1934). The factory was repaired in record time. The factory flourished and expanded and by 1945 was making 5000 pairs of shoes a week.
Ivor was not a Collingwood resident and lived in Ivanhoe in the 1920s with his parents and then with his wife, Mary Lois, in the 1930s. He and Mary Lois, of 39 Trenerry Crescent Abbotsford, married in 1930 in the Clifton Hill Baptist Church. During World War 2 when Ivor was in the AIF his wife ran the factory on his behalf and remained a director. During the war they manufactured boots for the US Marine Corps. In 1945 the manufacturing was moved to a larger factory at 431 Hoddle Street.
Ivor Trescowthick founded the long-standing shoe brand Julius Marlow in 1934. It is reported he sold his quality shoes under the Julius Marlow brand rather than his own name ‘because people couldn't spell it’. In 1950 the company name was changed from Ivor Trescowthick Pty Ltd to Julius Marlow Pty Ltd. In 1960 a new factory was opened at 137 Alexandra Parade. By this stage the target was 10,000 pairs of shoes a week. The factory was opened by the Victorian Premier Sir Henry Bolte who mentioned pride in the fact that Julius Marlow was completely Australian owned. However, by 1962 a Chicago shoe company (Interco International) had purchased 51% of the company. In 1987 it was fully taken over by Interco International.
In 1970 the factory relocated to Northcote when the Eastern Freeway was being built. At present the Julius Marlow brand of men’s shoes continues to be sold widely throughout Australia although no longer made nor owned locally.
|Birth Date||Birth Place|
|Spouse Name||Date of Marriage||Children|
|Mary Lois Manning||1930||Rosemary, Maureen|
|Work Street||Work City||Status of Building|
|267 Wellington Street||Collingwood||Extant|
|59 Alexandra Parade||Collingwood||Extant|
|431 Hoddle Street||Collingwood||Demolished|
|137 Alexandra Parade||Collingwood||Demolished|
|Death Date||Death Place||Cemetery|
Australian Leather Journal April 1960; Collingwood History Collection CFC 36 and CFC 367
Public company 1961
Family photos can be found by logging in to ancestry.com.au