Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working Meeting

    21 October @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  2. Annual History Walk

    9 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:John Barleycorn Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

177-181 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

John Barleycorn Hotel (1974 - present)

Previous Name(s):

City Hotel (1878 - 1973)

When Built/Licenced:

1876/78

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Alterations to exterior perhaps 1920s; ground floor exterior altered more recently

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

Although the building has the date 1868 on the pediment, no evidence has yet been found to indicate that the hotel began operating before 1878, when Mrs Harriet Pryde was the publican. Mrs Pryde was unsuccessful in her first attempt to obtain a licence in December 1876, on the grounds of insufficient accommodation. She remained the publican until late in the nineteenth century, and the hotel was as frequently referred to as Pryde's Hotel or Pryde's Family Hotel as the City Hotel. It had a strong association with local sporting groups, being a popular venue for various cricket club meetings and for dinners provided by Mrs Pryde to the Abbotsford Football Club and the Collingwood Football Club.

The upstairs windows were re-modelled around the 1920s, and modern alterations to the ground floor windows have created a rather uninviting exterior.

Hotel:Junction Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[229] Victoria Parade, northwest corner of Hoddle Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Junction Hotel (1870 - 1970)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1870

When Delicensed:

1970

Status of Building:

Demolished 1971 for the widening of Hoddle Street

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: N; MMBW: Detail Plan 1210, 1899

Comments:

Hoddle Street was widened from Victoria Parade to Alexandra Parade in the early 1970s. All buildings on the west side of the road were demolished. We are lucky that the Collingwood and Fitzroy Courier photographer was out and about on the day that it was being wrecked.

Share This