Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working Meeting

    21 October @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  2. Annual History Walk

    9 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Leinster Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

66 Gold Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Leinster Arms Hotel (1863/4 to present)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1863/64

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

1930

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed under precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 321

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail plan 1235, 1901

Comments:

This hotel site reflects strong Irish connections in both name and publicans. Leinster is a province of Ireland and a source of a popular name for hotels both in Victoria and Ireland. The original bluestone building was owned and operated by various members of the McDonnell family until the death of John McDonnell in 1870, when another Irishman, Patrick Quinlivan, paid the executors 80 pounds for the goodwill and annual rental of 100 pounds. Quinlivan remained until 1882 and was followed by John Cahill, then Patrick Fitzpatrick and later Mary Cahir, who presided from 1926 until 1940.

The hotel was acquired by the Shamrock Brewing Company and eventually re-built in 1930. The hotel is very distinctive in appearance, with its clinker-brick and render Greek revival style standing in a street of mainly Victorian and Edwardian houses. The use of brick-on-edge detailing is unusual.

The Leinster Arms dining areas have been a popular upmarket venue for meals and drinks for some years, but there are still a number of 'old boys' propping up the bar who have been frequenting the hotel for many a long year.

Hotel:Limerick Castle Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Johnston Street (grounds of former Collingwood Technical School)
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Limerick Castle Hotel (1907 -1914)

Previous Name(s):

Quarryman's Arms (1854 - 1870), Engineers Arms (1871 - 1906)

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

c.1889

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

The original Quarryman's Arms was a stone building; its first licensed victualler was Thomas Opie. At the time of its auction in May 1877 it comprised 11 rooms, bar, a lodge-room suitable for Oddfellows meetings, a ten stall stable and a cemented underground tank.

The hotel was rebuilt in 1889 and can be seen in a c.1912 photograph, which shows an ornate two-storey brick building with the construction date on the corner section of the pediment. Although not on a street corner, the architect has made good use of the narrow right of way to create a desirable splayed corner entrance. Publicans James and Margaret Tonini stand in the doorway. The hotel incorporated a tobacconist and barber's on the ground floor, and Tonini ran this business before moving into hotelkeeping around 1911. (There is an anomaly about the photograph, in that only the name Engineers' Arms can be seen, not the new name Limerick Castle).

Prior to Tonini's arrival, licensee Mrs Annie Featherby found herself the target of criticism at the Licensing Reduction Board sittings on 6 March 1908. The pub was suspected of Sunday trading, after-hours trading, and gambling (the latter also supposedly taking place at the tobacconist's), though nothing had been proved and no charges laid. While the hotel escaped closure at this time, it was closed down at a later round in 1914. John Wren's tote at what is now 148 Johnston Street, not far from this hotel, had been closed down in January 1907, so local punters would have been glad of another gambling outlet! (See Wren's tote )

The tobacconist and barber's business continued after the hotel ceased functioning. James (Jim) Tonini became a Collingwood councillor from 1918 to 1934 (Mayor in 1923-24) and from 1936 to 1947. The hotel building was eventually demolished to make way for the expansion of Collingwood Technical School.

Hotel:London Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[186, later 202A] Johnston Street,
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

London Hotel (1883 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

Surrey Hotel (1862 - 1876), Shamrock Hotel (1876 - 1882)

When Built/Licenced:

1862

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Demolished c.1919.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Appendix 7, p. 327

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1198, 1901

Comments:

The carpet shop now at 200-202 Johnston Street is in the former Austral Theatre, which replaced this brick hotel and neighbouring shop. The Austral Theatre opened 15 September 1921.

Hotel:Londonderry Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Wellington Street, northeast corner of Vere Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Londonderry Hotel (1858 - 1925)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1925

Status of Building:

Demolished by 1969

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

James and Martha Sawyers were associated with this hotel for many years as publican and owner. Shortly before its closure in 1925, licensee Terence Callaghan was running a dairy in Easey Street while his daughter Annie looked after the day-to-day running of the hotel. They became embroiled in a conspiracy case involving police detectives who placed stolen property at the hotel, then demanded money to cover it up. ( The Argus, 21 July 1925, p. 24)

Housing Commission of Victoria high rise flats were built on this site in the late 1960s.

Share This