Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working Meeting

    21 October @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  2. Annual History Walk

    9 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:The Gem

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

285 Wellington Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

The Gem (c.2006 - present)

Previous Name(s):

Steeth's Family Hotel (1875-1883), Curry's Family Hotel (1884 - c.2006)

When Built/Licenced:

1875

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

1927l

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 321; Appendix 7, p. 500-501

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1237, 1900

Comments:

While Wellington Street was in the early days Collingwood's most densely populated and busiest street, it was quite short, running only from Victoria Parade to Johnston Street. The process of extending the road through private property towards Clifton Hill took place in the 1870s, and James Steeth, who had been a publican at the Village Belle in Abbotsford, must have seen the developing area as a good commercial proposition for a man with some capital to invest. Formerly a Sergeant of Police, in June 1875 he applied for a licence for Steeth's Family Hotel. 'He had recently received a legacy of 10,000 pounds, which the Police Magistrate said was of itself no recommendation.' ( The Argus, 5 June 1875, p. 6). Despite the magistrate's dry comment (a style not at all unusual at licensing hearings) the licence was granted. In the 1880s the hotel was taken over by Michael Curry, who renamed the hotel.

Curry's was significantly altered or re-built in 1927 in a distinctive Mediterranean Provincial Revival style with hipped roof, strutted eaves and a tiled dado, well-suited to its corner site. Of the older building, the original north wall definitely remains, as the lettering 'Steeth's Family Hotel' was visible for a short time when the neighbouring building was demolished in readiness for the construction of housing units in the 1990s.

At the youthful age of 25, Amy Robson became both owner and licensee of the Curry Family Hotel in 1997. After ten years working as a barmaid, she looked forward to controlling her own working environment and created 'a family-oriented, old-fashioned local watering hole which is not glamourous or chic bur certainly reflects its keeper's values of honesty, responsibility and nurturance...' Amy continues to work tirelessly among her "extended family" of "waifs, strays and refugees". ( Beyond the ladies lounge, p. 196).

Amy's Bar is no longer, but The Gem is continuing the tradition of being a welcoming and easy-going local for a drink or a meal. Locals still sometimes refer to the hotel as Curry's.

Hotel:The Goodhead

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

176 Hoddle Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

The Goodhead (2010 to present)

Previous Name(s):

Morning Star Hotel (1869 - 2007), Opium Den (2008 - 2010)

When Built/Licenced:

1869

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Early twentieth century

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1283, 1901

Comments:

The hotel was rebuilt, probably between 1910 and 1930, in red brick with a tiled dado. The whole exterior has fairly recently been uniformly painted, creating quite a difference appearance. The current name of the hotel refers to a brand of beer. Rooms are available at $140 per week.

Hotel:The Tote

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

67-71 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

The Tote (1991 to present)

Previous Name(s):

Healy's Hotel (1870 - 73), Ivanhoe Hotel (1873 - 1990)

When Built/Licenced:

1870

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Renovated in the inter-war period and ground floor changed

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

Daniel Healy had a grain store on this site before building a hotel. The Tote became a popular music venue in the 1980s-1990s. Closed briefly in 2009 and again in early 2010 owing to difficulties in complying with stricter licensing laws applying to "high-risk" venues hosting late-night live music, it re-opened as a result of a groundswell of public opinion and protest.

Hotel:Town Hall Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[205] Hoddle Street, between Vere and Gipps streets (west side)
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Town Hall Hotel (1908 - 1972)

Previous Name(s):

Victoria Hotel (1858 - 1907)

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1972

Status of Building:

Demolished 1972 for the widening of Hoddle Street

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1199 & 1200, 1899

Comments:

James Cattach was an early licensee at this rendered stone two-storey hotel, before moving to the newly-opened British Crown in Smith Street.

One would think that the construction of the Town Hall over the road in the 1880s provided the owner with an opportunity to bask in the reflected glory and civic pride of the grand boom-style edifice by changing the hotel name, but in fact it was another twenty years before this happened.

The hotel was bought by the Board of Works in early 1971 in preparation for the Hoddle Street road widening but continued operating until May 1972.

Share This