Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working Meeting

    21 October @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  2. Annual History Walk

    9 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Caledonian Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Stanley Street, south side, corner Cambridge Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Caledonian Hotel (1868 - 1870)

Previous Name(s):

Good Samaritan Hotel (1866 - 1867)

When Built/Licenced:

1866

When Delicensed:

1870

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Not verified

Comments:

This hotel was listed as a wooden hotel with eight or nine rooms (Rate Book 1867, 1870). The publican was kept under the watchful eye of the local police:

SUNDAY TRADING AT CALEDONIA HOTEL, STANLEY ST

At the East Collingwood Police Court, William Sharp appeared for selling liquor on a Sunday at the Caledonia Hotel. The defendant was described from the witness box as the keeper of a shanty, but the police seemed to find it difficult to catch him tripping, in the way of Sunday trading, from the fact that it was the practice on Sundays to view the customers through a small hole, cut in the door and glazed, before giving them admission. Sergeant Fenton had seen a woman enter the house with a jug under her apron and come out again, where upon he entered.

Sergeant Fenton, on Sunday last, managed to get in without undergoing this preliminary survey, and found three men in the parlour drinking beer and two in the bar, the landlord behind the bar. For the defence, it was sworn by one of the three men that the whole of them were lodgers and that they did not pay for the beer, as it was given to them with their lunch. There was no evidence to show that the other two men were drinking, so the Bench dismissed the case, although, as they said, they had no doubt in their own minds that the drinks were sold and paid for.

( The Argus 8 October 1870 )

Hotel:Cambridge Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Description:
c.1890. Courtesy Royal Historical Society of Victoria
Hotel Address:

[129] Cambridge Street, west side between Peel and Stanley Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Cambridge Arms Hotel (1853 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1853

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished early twentieth century; Foy and Gibson building constructed on site

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1201, 1899

Comments:

By the time that the Licensing Reduction Board ruled that the hotel was to close, Carlton & United Breweries was the owner of the two-storey bluestone building. In July 1908 the Board took evidence as to the compensation payable to owners and licensees of delicensed hotels in Collingwood.

In the case of the Cambridge Arms Hotel, Cambridge Street expert evidence was called to show the value of the building with and without a licence.

'The building is old, of bluestone, but very substantial and it would cost 150 pounds to convert it to a dwelling. If a factory were built on it might return up to 7 per cent. For the licensee Mrs Margaret Thompson... it was contended that owing to her ill-health the takings had fallen very low, and did not represent the fair value of the license'.

( The Argus, 15 July 1908, p. 4)

Hotel:Carters Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

31 Gold Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Carters Arms Hotel (1872 - 1914)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1872

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Residential

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 321

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1237, 1900

Comments:

Mary O'Brien was the licensee in the 1890s and featured in the newspaper in relation to items ranging from a Sunday trading fine, to paying damages for injuries caused to a little girl who was bitten by her dog while playing in the street, to being the victim of theft of money from the bar.

In the twentieth century larrikins were making life difficult for local people:

The 'push' element is making its undesirable presence felt again in Collingwood. On Saturday evening at 11 pm, seven men entered the bar of the Carter's Arms... drinks for the party being called for. These were served but it soon became apparent that the men were on mischief bent. An attempt was made to rush the bar-parlour, but Mrs George Raiswell wife of the licensee promptly... locked the door. It was fortunate that she did so, for a moment later a soda bottle whizzed through the glass panel of another door and struck the door which Mrs Raiswell had just closed. A second crash was heard - this time windows in the billiard room being smashed. The cry of 'Police' was raised and the unwelcome visitors made off. Proceeding towards Johnston Street, some of the men tore pickets off the fences surrounding two houses and one was hurled through a plate glass window. The next scene of action was in the vicinity of the Engineers Arms in Johnston Street... Police arrived and took a hand in quelling the disturbance, which was witnessed by a crowd composed of several hundreds... Residents of Gold Street complain that their slumbers are disturbed, more especially on Saturday nights after the hotels are closed by 'pushes' the members of which sing ribald songs, make use of vile language and misconduct themselves generally.

( The Argus, 3 February 1914, p. 8)

Hotel:Clifton Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[32] Derby Street, Collingwood, near Oxford Street; later southeast corner of Langridge Street and Oxford Street, Collingwood
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Clifton Hotel (1853 - 1914)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1853

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Demolished by 1937

Rebuilt/Altered:

1883

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail plan 1208, 1899

Comments:

The original hotel was a stone building with ten rooms (Rate Book 1864, 1868) facing Derby Street, next door to the Clifton Assembly Rooms where a school was conducted from 1856 to 1877. It was many years later that Langridge Street was extended through from Wellington Street to Smith Street and created a direct link with Gertrude Street. The owner perhaps thought that this through road would be a more prominent site than Derby Street, and shortly after the road was completed Thomas Watts and Sons called for tenders for the erection of a two storey hotel on the corner of Langridge and Oxford streets ( The Argus 14 August 1883, p. 3). It is possible that the new hotel was built on the same plot of land, but facing the opposite direction.

It was closed by a decision of the Licenses Reduction Board. Around 1937 a building was constructed taking up the whole of the site from Derby Street to Langridge Street on the site formerly occupied by the hotel buildings.

Hotel:Commercial Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

62 Smith Street, Collingwood
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Commercial Hotel (1869 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

Date on pediment 1866, first licence 1869

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Commercial premises

Rebuilt/Altered:

Bi-chrome brick exterior was probably later rendered after 1887. Corner door and adjoining windows altered in recent years.

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1208, 1899

Comments:

Is seeing believing? Although the date on the pediment seems like a good piece of evidence, sources such as licensing records, rate books, and Sands and McDougall directories suggest it was not yet built in 1866. An 1880s photo of Langridge Street shows the side wall in brick. If the whole building was rendered after this time, the date may have been added then and relied on inaccurate data.

The first publican was Elijah Horwood who remained as publican from 1869 until 1884.

From 1930 until the 1970s the building housed the office of G.D. Langridge & Son, estate agents. In recent years the ground floor has been further altered to suit office/shop uses.

Hotel:Council Club Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

40 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Council Club Hotel (1885 - 1936)

Previous Name(s):

Council Hotel (1858 - 1884)

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1936

Status of Building:

Substantially re-built in brick and extended after 1910, but at least one original wall remains - the bluestone west wall can be glimpsed in the tiny gap between two buildings.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, p. 93, mention in description of HO315 Johnston Street Precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1238, 1900 (not named)

Comments:

The name refers to the council chambers, which were located on the opposite side of Johnston Street prior to the building of the Collingwood Town Hall in the 1880s. The bluestone hotel was in the 1870s owned by Henry "Money" Miller, an investor who gave up politics in 1867 to concentrate on amassing city properties and pastoral holdings.

'On Wednesday evening last, the grand officers of the United Ancient Order of Druids assembled at Dredge's Council Hotel, Johnston-st, for the purpose of opening a new lodge. The President having initiated 43 members, the dispensation under which the lodge is held was read and the Lodge declared duly opened under the name of "The Prince Alfred". Brother Morffew D.P. of No 4 District was elected as arch-druid for the first term.'

( The Argus, 31/3/1871)

Hotel:Criterion Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

115-117 [formerly 103] Johnston Street, Collingwood
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Criterion Hotel (1912 - 1914)

Previous Name(s):

Galloway Arms (1854 - 1911)

When Built/Licenced:

18541914

Status of Building:

Restaurant (115); charity office (117)

Rebuilt/Altered:

1888

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, p. 93, mention in description of HO315 Johnston Street Precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

The original hotel was a wooden structure, charmingly depicted by watercolourist Henry Gritten at the time when Abraham Howgate was the licensee after very brief stints by Robert McDuff and Frederick Poole. It was later rebuilt in two-storeyed Italianate style. James Page, a man active in local affairs and elected to council in the 1860s, was owner and licensee from at least 1861 until at least 1874. The owner until his death in 1910 was also called James Page, but may have been the son of the same name; both generations of the family lived at the hotel.

At the Licenses Reduction Board sittings in March 1908, James Page and licensee Mrs Rosetta McCully appeared. Page reported that the hotel had been rebuilt to meet the requirements of the Licensing inspector in 1888. Police reported that the house was well built and well conducted under the present licensee, though it had been not been so under previous licensees. Mrs McCully stated she had taken over in August 1907:

"There was a rough class of customers at the place then but she cleared them out, refurnished the place, and made a new start. The trade was steadily growing, and the customers were all of a very respectable class."

The Argus, 7 March 1908, p. 2

The hotel was allowed to continue trading continued trading but in April 1914 the Licenses Reduction Board handed down a decision that it was one of the hotels in excess in the Darling Ward.

The upper floor exterior of the building is substantially intact although the windows of 115 have been altered; the name and construction date can be seen on the pediment in raised letters. The ground floor has been completely altered for subsequent offices and shops on the premises.

Hotel:Crown and Anchor Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Langridge Street, northwest corner Rokeby Street
c 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Crown and Anchor Hotel (1883 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

Lord Nelson Hotel (1864? - 1873), Glasgow Arms Hotel (1873 - 1878), Yorkshire Arms Hotel (1878 - 1882)

When Built/Licenced:

1868

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899

Comments:

The early history of this hotel is shrouded in mystery and needs more research. We know that by 1864 it was housed in a brick building owned and conducted by Richard Peters, and that by 1868 it was called the Lord Nelson Hotel. It may have existed prior to 1864, and it may have had a different name in its first years of existence.

At a sitting of the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, it was described as 'damp, dirty and dilapidated'. It contained nine rooms, was poorly furnished, and had no accommodation for lodgers. The owner explained that he had not spent any money on improvements because the hearing was imminent, but was of the opinion that given its central position, with improvements it would make a good hotel. ( The Argus, 21 February 1908, p. 3)

Hotel:Earl of Zetland Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Stanley Street, north side opposite Little Oxford Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Earl of Zetland Hotel (1855 - 1925)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1855

When Delicensed:

1925

Status of Building:

Demolished

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

A substantial three-story corner stone building. The first publican was Samuel Turner, who was active in the Licensed Victuallers' Association. IN the 1870s it advertised 'furnished bedrooms 5s each with or without board'

Hotel:Exchange Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

ambridge Street, northwest corner of Mason Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Exchange Hotel (1866 - 1871)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1866

When Delicensed:

1871

Status of Building:

Demolished c.1873. The State school built on the site opened in September 1877.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

Maps:

N/A

Comments:

Following the passing of the 1872 Education Act, the authorities investigated suitable buildings and sites in the area for the large new school which would be necessary to house the additional children attending compulsory school. Existing school buildings were deemed unsuitable, and towards the end of 1873 the Ministry of Education began the process of purchasing freehold properties in the block bounded by Cambridge Street and Mason Street, including this timber building with seven rooms (Rate Book 1867). Mr Upton, who was the last publican, may have wished he had been able to wait for the opportunity. In 1870 he was charged with Sunday trading; in 1871 he was declared insolvent, the cause being cited as 'dullness of trade'. ( The Argus, 25 January 1871, supplement p. 2).

Share This