Search the Hotels Database

Upcoming Events

Follow Us

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Kalgoorlie Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[130-132] now 168-172 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Kalgoorlie Hotel (1912 - 1918)

Previous Name(s):

Clarke's Hotel (1853 - 1857), Mac's Hotel (1857 - 1912)

When Built/Licenced:

1853

When Delicensed:

1918

Status of Building:

Demolished in February 2009

Rebuilt/Altered:

1919, 1930s, 1947

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

170-172 individually significant within HO 333; number 168 contributory to HO 333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: 1201, 1899

Comments:

James Clarke was the first licensee in a hotel on this site. Within a few years Thomas and Alexandrina McVea took over as owners and hotelkeepers, but Thomas soon died. Alexandrina re-married in 1861 and continued to run the hotel with her new husband Walter Murray, until she herself died in 1865. There followed a series of publicans, and several ownership changes, but the name Mac's Hotel was kept until well into the twentieth century.

The hotel can be seen in a photo taken around 1861. The section to the south is occupied by Caudle's drapery shop. Whether Caudle occupied just the ground floor, or that section of the building was completely divided from the northern section is arguable. The shop was rated separately (they had the same owner, but tenants were responsible for paying council rates in the nineteenth century), however the number of rooms mentioned in the rate books was low (e.g. in 1867 four in Caudle's, 28 in the hotel). This suggests that the hotel used the upper floors; certainly the name of the hotel is displayed right across the front of the building. By the time the MMBW plan was prepared in the late 19th century the buildings certainly seem to be separate.

After the closure of the Kalgoorlie Hotel, the property was tenanted by none other than members of the Coles family who moved into a larger shop than their previous (nothing over 1/-) shop further north in Smith Street. In 1921 G J Coles Pty Ltd was formed. The store was established within the old hotel fabric, which required extensive renovation; the lease was renewed in 1936 on the basis that improvements valued at 5,350 would be made. The property was extensively rebuilt in the Moderne style (attributed to Harry Norris, the regular Coles architect, although without specific evidence) and reduced to two stories. In 2004 a few remnants of the old hotel could still be found, as could elements of the 1919 renovation.

Number 172 (formerly Caudle's shop) was a butcher's shop for many years; all three storeys were retained and although the window openings were bricked up, it was easily identifiable by the distinctive parapet. Both buildings became more and more neglected in recent years, exacerbated by being included in a proposed Banco Group development in the mid 2000s. One fine Saturday in 2009 the buildings were quickly demolished...

This is a very complex site and the details are beyond the scope of this data sheet. Readers who would like to read more about may like to look at the following, as well as checking other items in this web page's bibliography:

Attachmen 6: Coles G J & Co Ld, Fancy Goods & Drapers ...

Hotel:Leinster Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

66 Gold Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Leinster Arms Hotel (1863/4 to present)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1863/64

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

1930

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed under precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 321

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail plan 1235, 1901

Comments:

This hotel site reflects strong Irish connections in both name and publicans. Leinster is a province of Ireland and a source of a popular name for hotels both in Victoria and Ireland. The original bluestone building was owned and operated by various members of the McDonnell family until the death of John McDonnell in 1870, when another Irishman, Patrick Quinlivan, paid the executors 80 pounds for the goodwill and annual rental of 100 pounds. Quinlivan remained until 1882 and was followed by John Cahill, then Patrick Fitzpatrick and later Mary Cahir, who presided from 1926 until 1940.

The hotel was acquired by the Shamrock Brewing Company and eventually re-built in 1930. The hotel is very distinctive in appearance, with its clinker-brick and render Greek revival style standing in a street of mainly Victorian and Edwardian houses. The use of brick-on-edge detailing is unusual.

The Leinster Arms dining areas have been a popular upmarket venue for meals and drinks for some years, but there are still a number of 'old boys' propping up the bar who have been frequenting the hotel for many a long year.

Hotel:Limerick Castle Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Johnston Street (grounds of former Collingwood Technical School)
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Limerick Castle Hotel (1907 -1914)

Previous Name(s):

Quarryman's Arms (1854 - 1870), Engineers Arms (1871 - 1906)

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

c.1889

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

The original Quarryman's Arms was a stone building; its first licensed victualler was Thomas Opie. At the time of its auction in May 1877 it comprised 11 rooms, bar, a lodge-room suitable for Oddfellows meetings, a ten stall stable and a cemented underground tank.

The hotel was rebuilt in 1889 and can be seen in a c.1912 photograph, which shows an ornate two-storey brick building with the construction date on the corner section of the pediment. Although not on a street corner, the architect has made good use of the narrow right of way to create a desirable splayed corner entrance. Publicans James and Margaret Tonini stand in the doorway. The hotel incorporated a tobacconist and barber's on the ground floor, and Tonini ran this business before moving into hotelkeeping around 1911. (There is an anomaly about the photograph, in that only the name Engineers' Arms can be seen, not the new name Limerick Castle).

Prior to Tonini's arrival, licensee Mrs Annie Featherby found herself the target of criticism at the Licensing Reduction Board sittings on 6 March 1908. The pub was suspected of Sunday trading, after-hours trading, and gambling (the latter also supposedly taking place at the tobacconist's), though nothing had been proved and no charges laid. While the hotel escaped closure at this time, it was closed down at a later round in 1914. John Wren's tote at what is now 148 Johnston Street, not far from this hotel, had been closed down in January 1907, so local punters would have been glad of another gambling outlet! (See Wren's tote )

The tobacconist and barber's business continued after the hotel ceased functioning. James (Jim) Tonini became a Collingwood councillor from 1918 to 1934 (Mayor in 1923-24) and from 1936 to 1947. The hotel building was eventually demolished to make way for the expansion of Collingwood Technical School.

Hotel:London Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[186, later 202A] Johnston Street,
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

London Hotel (1883 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

Surrey Hotel (1862 - 1876), Shamrock Hotel (1876 - 1882)

When Built/Licenced:

1862

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Demolished c.1919.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Appendix 7, p. 327

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1198, 1901

Comments:

The carpet shop now at 200-202 Johnston Street is in the former Austral Theatre, which replaced this brick hotel and neighbouring shop. The Austral Theatre opened 15 September 1921.

Hotel:Londonderry Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Wellington Street, northeast corner of Vere Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Londonderry Hotel (1858 - 1925)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1925

Status of Building:

Demolished by 1969

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

James and Martha Sawyers were associated with this hotel for many years as publican and owner. Shortly before its closure in 1925, licensee Terence Callaghan was running a dairy in Easey Street while his daughter Annie looked after the day-to-day running of the hotel. They became embroiled in a conspiracy case involving police detectives who placed stolen property at the hotel, then demanded money to cover it up. ( The Argus, 21 July 1925, p. 24)

Housing Commission of Victoria high rise flats were built on this site in the late 1960s.

Hotel:Magpie Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[65] Palmer Street, northwest corner of Perry Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Magpie Hotel (1895 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

Wattle Tree Hotel (1866-1894)

When Built/Licenced:

1866

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

Wooden structure (Rate Book 1867)

This hotel featured numerous times in reports in the local newspaper and The Argus. In 1883 the hotel was bombarded with stones and oyster shells by a group of men who had been put out of the hotel; Thomas Cross was prosecuted in 1885 for displaying inferior spirits in a bottle labelled John De Kuyper & Son; in 1901 William Goring traded out-of-hours and permitted drunks to remain. With the arrival of Mrs Maggie Murphy a little later in the 1900s the hotel's reputation for systematic Sunday trading improved somewhat, but at the Licenses Reduction hearing in February 1908 the building, although it incorporated eight rooms, was described as poorly furnished and with no accommodation for boarders.

Hotel:Massie's Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[121] Wellington Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Massie's Hotel (1870 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1870

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished early twentieth century

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1201, 1899

Comments:

James Massie had been a blacksmith in Wellington Street before he turned to hotel-keeping. He first spent a year or two as licensee of the Star Hotel in nearby Peel Street before building his own hotel. He was the publican until the 1890s, and retained ownership of the building until its closure by the Licenses Reduction Board. At the hearing regarding the amount of compensation to be paid, Mr Johnson, a City of Collingwood valuer, and Mr Ashwood, architect and formerly house and land agent, gave evidence. Mr Johnson said that the valuation of the place was 80 pounds a year, and the rent was 2 pounds a week, which he considered fair. As a dwelling the house would be worth about 15/- or 16/- a week. Mr Ashworth thought that the hotel was worth 1,300 pounds and the vacant land 150 pounds. Delicensed, as a private house it would probably be worth 15/- per week and as a shop after extensive alterations say, 1 pound. Its capital value without a license would be about 575 pounds. ( The Argus, 17 July 1908 )
Return to the main hotels page

Hotel:Mechanics Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Vere Street, north side, corner Emerald Street.
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Mechanics Arms Hotel (1869 - 1870)

Previous Name(s):

Live & Let Live Hotel (1867 - 1868)

When Built/Licenced:

1867

When Delicensed:

1869

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: 1199 & 1200, 1899(?)

Comments:

The corner verandahed building shown as number 16 on the 1899 MMBW could be the old hotel building. The site of this hotel is part of the Housing Commission high rise flats built in the late 1960s.

Hotel:Norfolk Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[54] Easey Street, northwest corner Budd Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Norfolk Hotel (1855 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1855

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1238, 1900 (unnamed corner building with cellar)

Comments:

The application for a licence to Mr Breeze for his new hotel was granted on the condition that a ceiling be installed within two weeks. The hotel, presumably with its ceiling installed, was soon a popular place for a variety of meetings, ranging from the quarterly meetings of 'The Euphonics' to a meeting organised by John Jackson, a lobbyist for the erection of a bridge for Collingwood. At the latter 120 persons sat down to a complimentary dinner, 'furnished - with great credit - by Mr Breeze, the host'. Various councillors and members of Parliament attended, as did the Collingwood town clerk, while other worthies sent their apologies and accompanying cheques to assist Mr Jackson's cause. ( The Argus, 25 August 1856, p. 8 and 15 November 1856, p.5)

Mr John Edwards, one of the candidates for Collingwood, addressed two meetings of the electors last evening - one at the Abbotsford Hotel, Johnston street, and the other at the Norfolk Hotel. At both meetings motions in the candidate's favour were carried unanimously. At the Norfolk' a "free fight" took place, which lasted for some little time, but ultimately order was restored and maintained.

( The Argus, 25 July 1861, p. 4)

Newspapers reported extensively on a case in 1876 involving local youths feuding with the publican George Black. Two boys were charged with shooting to intent to wound. The event excited considerable interest as 'showing the extremities to which the disorderly youth of Collingwood would proceed' and being 'an act transcending in audacity anything yet done by the larrikin tribe of Collingwood'. However as the case unfolded, it seemed that Black had exaggerated and perhaps even manufactured evidence to incriminate the boys, and that, although a gun had been fired, it was loaded with only a few grains of powder and some paper to give him a fright, and caused no injury. ( The Argus, 3 April, p. 5 and 26 April, 1876, p. 5; The Mercury, 15 April 1876, p. 6)

Hotel:Oxford Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[83] Oxford Street, west wide, north of Peel Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Oxford Arms Hotel (1858 - 1897)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1897

Status of Building:

Demolished c. 1898.

Rebuilt/Altered:

In October 1877 tenders were invited for plastering the Oxford Arms

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Reference re building of Foy and Gibson factories

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: N/A

Comments:

Mrs Frances Kavanagh was the first publican and owner of this brick hotel, and remained until the late 1870s. In October 1877 the hotel was being spruced up, as tenders were invited first for plastering, then shortly afterwards for painting and wallpapering. ( The Argus, 17 October, and 29 October 1877, p. 3). This may have been in readiness for the sale of the hotel, or may have been done by the new owner.

As the Foy and Gibson retail and manufacturing empire expanded, the company bought up properties in Oxford and Cambridge streets to demolish and replace with their factories and warehouses. (See Foy and Gibson )

Share This