Yarra Street
Claremont Hotel (1880 - 1923)
Lancashire Arms (1862 - 1880)
Possibly cementing of front in early twentieth century
Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1283, 1901 (unnamed)
This photograph taken from the town hall tower in the mid 1880s does include the hotel in the distance, but is so indistinct that only the most determined researcher may find it worth examining.
Comments: This hotel may have existed even prior to 1862, because in that year tenders were invited for additions and alterations. ( The Argus, 26 August 1862, p. 3). Thomas Holland was a long-serving licensee from 1868. After Mr Dooley took over, he organised the 'Claremont Grand Seance' (a type of sweep) on the Champion Stakes. Applicants (maximum 500) paid five shillings, and were in the running for prizes of 45, 25, 18, 15, or 10 pounds.
The hotel was examined by the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, but permitted to stay open. In 1921 it was for sale after the death of the owner, giving us some information about the building:
A well built, two storied brick and weatherboard building with HANDSOME MODERN CEMENTED FRONT, comprising bar, two parlours, sitting room, kitchen, four bedrooms and bathroom. Also cellar and necessary conveniences. Exceptional block of land 50 ft x 130 ft.
( The Argus, 30 July 1921, p. 2)
In January 1924 the building was advertised to let for 2 pounds weekly as a nine room delicensed hotel suitable for a boarding house or apartments.