Hotel:Crown and Anchor Hotel
Langridge Street, northwest corner Rokeby Street
Crown and Anchor Hotel (1883 - 1908)
Lord Nelson Hotel (1864? - 1873), Glasgow Arms Hotel (1873 - 1878), Yorkshire Arms Hotel (1878 - 1882)
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899
The early history of this hotel is shrouded in mystery and needs more research. We know that by 1864 it was housed in a brick building owned and conducted by Richard Peters, and that by 1868 it was called the Lord Nelson Hotel. It may have existed prior to 1864, and it may have had a different name in its first years of existence.
At a sitting of the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, it was described as 'damp, dirty and dilapidated'. It contained nine rooms, was poorly furnished, and had no accommodation for lodgers. The owner explained that he had not spent any money on improvements because the hearing was imminent, but was of the opinion that given its central position, with improvements it would make a good hotel. ( The Argus, 21 February 1908, p. 3)