Hotel:Rose of Denmark Hotel
Wellington Street,southeast corner Gipps Street
Rose of Denmark Hotel (1865 - 1908)
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899
A two storey brick hotel which was involved with a Sunday trading charge within a year of opening. Publican Ellen Power was charged 5 pounds, a much higher fine than was usual. At the time of delicensing it was owned by Carlton & United Breweries.
A number of English pubs are called the Rose of Denmark, and the name is believed to refer to Alexandra, Princess of Wales, who was born in Denmark and in 1863 married the prince who became Edward VII in 1901.