390 (formerly 392) Smith Street, southeast corner Keele Street (formerly Ryrie Street)
Royal Hotel (1867 - 1919)
Vincent's Hotel (1861 - 1867)
Built and licensed in 1861
Early twentieth century
contributory to HO333
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1238, 1900. Not named.
Mr Vincent lived on this site before the hotel was built, being a blacksmith and then a grocer before building a hotel. Without further expert investigation it is hard to say whether his old pub was demolished and the current building, with its typically twentieth century architectural elements, was built from scratch, or whether the original building was substantially altered. The building footprint, corner doorway, brick rear side wall and foundations look as though they could belong to the earlier building. The City of Yarra heritage database describes the current building, now number 390 but originally 390 and 392, as dating from the 1900 to 1915 period. If this is correct, the building was rebuilt or remodelled during its life as a hotel, however since the neighbouring building was incorporated into the same building after it ceased trading as a hotel, the evidence seems a little contradictory.