Wellington Street, west side, south of Derby Street
Wellington Hotel (1905 - 1908)
Lady Franklin Hotel (1861-1899), Hobart Club Hotel (1900-1904)
Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1208, 1899
A brick hotel with 13 rooms (Rate Book 1867). Lady Franklin was the wife of Sir John Franklin, Governor of Tasmania from 1836 to 1843. An active, cultured woman who interested herself in charitable works and cultural improvement, she also organised many search parties to the Arctic after her husband's 1845 exploratory expedition failed to return.
Would the owners have changed the name to the Wellington if they had known that an earlier hotel of that name a few blocks to the north had been closed in disgrace in 1885? (See Hotel # 91)