Hotel:John Barleycorn Hotel
177-181 Johnston Street
John Barleycorn Hotel (1974 - present)
City Hotel (1878 - 1973)
Alterations to exterior perhaps 1920s; ground floor exterior altered more recently
Contributory to HO 324
Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899
Although the building has the date 1868 on the pediment, no evidence has yet been found to indicate that the hotel began operating before 1878, when Mrs Harriet Pryde was the publican. Mrs Pryde was unsuccessful in her first attempt to obtain a licence in December 1876, on the grounds of insufficient accommodation. She remained the publican until late in the nineteenth century, and the hotel was as frequently referred to as Pryde's Hotel or Pryde's Family Hotel as the City Hotel. It had a strong association with local sporting groups, being a popular venue for various cricket club meetings and for dinners provided by Mrs Pryde to the Abbotsford Football Club and the Collingwood Football Club.
The upstairs windows were re-modelled around the 1920s, and modern alterations to the ground floor windows have created a rather uninviting exterior.