Wellington Street, northeast corner of Vere Street
Londonderry Hotel (1858 - 1925)
Demolished by 1969
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899
James and Martha Sawyers were associated with this hotel for many years as publican and owner. Shortly before its closure in 1925, licensee Terence Callaghan was running a dairy in Easey Street while his daughter Annie looked after the day-to-day running of the hotel. They became embroiled in a conspiracy case involving police detectives who placed stolen property at the hotel, then demanded money to cover it up. ( The Argus, 21 July 1925, p. 24)
Housing Commission of Victoria high rise flats were built on this site in the late 1960s.