Hotel:Oxford Arms Hotel
 Oxford Street, west wide, north of Peel Street
Oxford Arms Hotel (1858 - 1897)
Demolished c. 1898.
In October 1877 tenders were invited for plastering the Oxford Arms
Reference re building of Foy and Gibson factories
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: N/A
Mrs Frances Kavanagh was the first publican and owner of this brick hotel, and remained until the late 1870s. In October 1877 the hotel was being spruced up, as tenders were invited first for plastering, then shortly afterwards for painting and wallpapering. ( The Argus, 17 October, and 29 October 1877, p. 3). This may have been in readiness for the sale of the hotel, or may have been done by the new owner.
As the Foy and Gibson retail and manufacturing empire expanded, the company bought up properties in Oxford and Cambridge streets to demolish and replace with their factories and warehouses. (See Foy and Gibson )