267 Wellington Street
Phoenix Hotel (1885 - 1919)
Woodthorpe Hotel (1875-1885)
Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1237, 1900
This hotel opened in the same year as Steeth's Family Hotel, just after Wellington Street was extended from Johnston Street towards Clifton Hill. Nowadays the corner door opening has been filled in and the ground floor window frames altered, but otherwise Michael Torpey, publican from 1887 until 1892, could return to his hotel today and have no trouble recognising the exterior, although he might be a little surprised by the paint colours.