Hotel:Sir Henry Loch Hotel
Johnston St, southwest corner Hoddle Street
Sir Henry Loch Hotel (1885 - 1971)
Weighbridge Hotel (1865 - 1884)
Demolished c.1971 for the widening of Hoddle Street
Rebuilt, date not known
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899
The original name of this hotel refers to the weighbridge that used to be on the other side of Johnston Street. Thomas Ransom was the first licensee, moving here from the Highbury Barn hotel at the other end of Hoddle Street. John Cooper was the licensee in the 1880s; Mrs John Cooper was granted permission to carry on the business for two months during her husband's absence in April 1881. The name change was a response to the appointment of Sir Henry Loch as Governor of Victoria in 1884.
The first hotel was built of wood, and replaced at an as yet unknown date.