Hotel:Stanley Arms Hotel
 Wellington Street, east side, opposite Stanley Street, between Vere and Singleton (formerly Little Smith) streets
Stanley Arms Hotel (1867 - 1885)
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1199 & 1200, 1899 ( building in between numbers 228 and 230)
At the Licensing meeting in January 1885 there was strong opposition to the renewal of a licence to the Stanley Arms Hotel. Petitions for and against the continuance of the hotel were read from the residents in the immediate vicinity, and a long time was spent in arguments, many witnesses giving evidence against or in favour of the hotel. The application for a licence to the current landlady, Mrs Hollingsworth, was refused, and application was then made for a licence to a Miss Maher. This, too, was opposed on the grounds that the hotel was not required, and the application was adjourned for a month. ( The Argus 21 January 1885, p. 9). A further application was made in December, but was again refused.
A photo taken in the early 1890s shows a simply-decorated symmetrical two storey building looking much as it would have done when it was operating, even to a few loungers standing about outside. The word hotel has been painted over with 'house'.