Hotel:Stirling Castle Hotel -
Smith Street, somewhere in between 98 and 108
Stirling Castle Hotel (1853 - c.1870)
Current buildings on site contributory to HO333
Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: N/A
This was described as a stone building in the 1864 rate book, and as plaster in the 1867 rate book, probably meaning the bluestone had been rendered. During its lifetime, this hotel had 12 publicans, most only staying for a year. In its final year of operation, the publican was J Blake, who the following year was a wine merchant, possibly in the same building. In the late 1860s there were still a number of the older timber buildings in Smith Street, but with growing prosperity and the increasing commercial importance of the street, which was overtaking Wellington Street in popularity, owners were replacing these with more substantial brick. In 1869 Charles Brown owned the hotel and one wooden shop; by 1874 he owned four shops, which were probably the group of four two-storey shops currently numbered 100 to 106. The site of the hotel was therefore probably somewhere on the land now covered by these shops.