Hotel:Victoria Parade Hotel
Victoria Parade, between Rupert & Rokeby streets
Victoria Parade Hotel (1865 - 1919)
General Havelock Hotel (1858 - 1865)
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899
Hodgkinson's January 1858 map shows a building on the site, marked Rennison's Hotel. Thomas Rennison, also publican of the Lord Raglan Hotel on the Richmond corner of Hoddle Street and Victoria Street, owned this stone building (Rate Book 1864). This suggests the hotel had not yet been named when the map was prepared. General Havelock was a British general particularly associated with India. He died there in November 1857 shortly after the relief of Lucknow, so would have been in the news in 1858 when Rennison was considering what to call his new hotel. It was not long before the Collingwood Cricket Club began to hold meetings at the new pub.
An auction notice in The Argus in January 1873 indicates the difficulty with dating the change to hotel names; the hotel is described as 'the premises generally known as the General Havelock Hotel, but now called the Victoria Parade Hotel'.