59 Wellington Street,
Vine Hotel (1875 to present)
Caledonian Hotel (1868), Eight Hours Hotel (1869 - 1875)
Early twentieth century
Part C, pp. 681-683
Volume 2, Building Citations, Part II, pp. 401-402
HO 140, individually significant
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: MMBW Detail plan 1208, 1899
An earlier hotel on the site was briefly known as the Caledonian, then the Eight Hours before settling on the Vine.
Carlton Brewery bought the hotel in 1897 and eventually replaced it with the current building, a classically inspired Edwardian style designed by Sydney Smith and Ogg. It remains a good example of an Edwardian hotel with corner tower and Art Nouveau details, but the painting of the red brick surfaces has marred the appearance of the building.