Wellington Street, east side, between Waterloo and Robert streets
Yorkshire Hotel (1853 - 1914)
Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW map: Detail Plan 1209, 1899
A brick and stone hotel of fourteen rooms with a Gross Annual Value of 200 pounds (Rate Book 1864 and 1865). Hotelier John Wood started the Yorkshire Brewery next door in 1858; the business prospered and a new brewery was constructed in 1876. Wood's son James designed the brew tower and supervised additions to the hotel in 1887, as well as work on other Collingwood hotels including The Retreat and The Earl of Zetland. The brewery, hotel and surrounds were depicted in a sketch published in the Australian Brewers Journal 20 July, 1890. (See Yorkshire Brewery )
While the hotel is long gone, the decorative tower of the 1876 brewery still stands, albeit disgracefully vandalised and neglected.