Hoddle Street, on the northwest corner of Perry Street
Gloucester Hotel (1858 - 1919)
Sometimes referred to as the Gloucester Arms
Demolished. Site is now part of the road
Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899
A two-storeyed brick hotel.
At the Licenses Reduction Board hearing, licensee Mrs Jane Carpenter admitted that she frequently talked to friends through the open window on Sundays, but denied that any trading went on. Other witnesses gave evidence as to the good conduct of the hotel, and the 'public convenience it served, particularly in connection with sports gatherings on the Victoria-park.' ( The Argus, 7 March 1908, p. 22)
The background to this comment was that in 1903 Collingwood Council had abolished the sale of intoxicating liquor at the Victoria Park football and cricket ground. This led to the lengthening of the half-time interval to facilitate the exodus to the convivial atmosphere of local pubs, while those who stayed at the ground were kept amused by such entertainments as brass bands, boomerang throwing and foot races.