Hotel:Council Club Hotel
40 Johnston Street
Hotel ID No
Most Recent Name:
Council Club Hotel (1885 - 1936)
Council Hotel (1858 - 1884)
Status of Building:
Substantially re-built in brick and extended after 1910, but at least one original wall remains - the bluestone west wall can be glimpsed in the tiny gap between two buildings.
Heritage Victoria Register:
National Trust Register:
Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:
City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:
Volume 3, p. 93, mention in description of HO315 Johnston Street Precinct
City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:
Contributory to HO 324
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail plan 1238, 1900 (not named)
The name refers to the council chambers, which were located on the opposite side of Johnston Street prior to the building of the Collingwood Town Hall in the 1880s. The bluestone hotel was in the 1870s owned by Henry "Money" Miller, an investor who gave up politics in 1867 to concentrate on amassing city properties and pastoral holdings.
'On Wednesday evening last, the grand officers of the United Ancient Order of Druids assembled at Dredge's Council Hotel, Johnston-st, for the purpose of opening a new lodge. The President having initiated 43 members, the dispensation under which the lodge is held was read and the Lodge declared duly opened under the name of "The Prince Alfred". Brother Morffew D.P. of No 4 District was elected as arch-druid for the first term.'
( The Argus, 31/3/1871)