Collingwood Hotel Listing:
Below is a listing of Collingwood Hotels. Please click a hotel to find out more details.
Hotel:Leinster Arms Hotel
66 Gold Street
Leinster Arms Hotel (1863/4 to present)
66 Gold Street
Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed under precinct
Individually significant within HO 321
Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail plan 1235, 1901
This hotel site reflects strong Irish connections in both name and publicans. Leinster is a province of Ireland and a source of a popular name for hotels both in Victoria and Ireland. The original bluestone building was owned and operated by various members of the McDonnell family until the death of John McDonnell in 1870, when another Irishman, Patrick Quinlivan, paid the executors 80 pounds for the goodwill and annual rental of 100 pounds. Quinlivan remained until 1882 and was followed by John Cahill, then Patrick Fitzpatrick and later Mary Cahir, who presided from 1926 until 1940.
The hotel was acquired by the Shamrock Brewing Company and eventually re-built in 1930. The hotel is very distinctive in appearance, with its clinker-brick and render Greek revival style standing in a street of mainly Victorian and Edwardian houses. The use of brick-on-edge detailing is unusual.
The Leinster Arms dining areas have been a popular upmarket venue for meals and drinks for some years, but there are still a number of 'old boys' propping up the bar who have been frequenting the hotel for many a long year.