Street Names

Street Names

Collingwood Historical Society published a booklet Streets of Collingwood in 1991, which is now out of print but can be viewed at Collingwood Library or online on this web site by clicking the link below. We do plan to update the contents eventually and you will notice a few (preliminary) pencilled additions on the PDF version, so keep in mind this is not the definitive version. As always any additional information you can supply would be very welcome.

Some new streets have been added since 1991, so you might also like to check the City of Yarra’s website which provides:

  1. A Road Register of all public roads grouped by area on this page:  https://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/services/roads-and-traffic
  2. The origin of some street names (those included in the street signage project) at: https://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/services/roads-and-traffic/street-signs-heritage

Yarra Street Naming Policy

Street Naming must be undertaken pursuant to the requirements of the Guidelines for Geographic Names 2010.   Council uses indigenous names for Street Naming as part of Council’s indigenous partnership plan. The proposal is referred to Aboriginal Elders via Council’s Arts and Cultural Branch. Adjoining owners are involved in the consultation process.

Council does not consider naming unless there is a property actually fronting the street to be named.

Recent subdivisions and naming include the following in Clifton Hill:

  • Yarrabing Lane Clifton Hill was named in March 2007. Yarrabing (which means the white-gum) is the tree that the Wurundjeri welcome people to their lands with. The Wurundjeri are the traditional custodians of the cultural heritage of this land.
  • Three streets constructed in the residential development constructed on the site of the former Synthetic Dyeworks Industries Pty Ltd.  (The names issued in this development are non-conforming, because the Guidelines do not support the use of first names.)
    • Barries Place      In 1958 Barrie Knight started the dyehouse (formerly known as  Synthetic Dyeworks), which had previously housed a tannery.
    • Stan Street         In 1959 Stan Fayman joined Barrie as his business partner.
    • Harrys Lane       Harry and Grace lived on the southeast corner of Gray and Noone streets; Harry was a chimney sweep for the Tannery and became the first employee at the dyeworks.

 

The Campbellfield Estate and its street names: update October 2020

Recently a family descendant sent us a history of Edwin Trenerry who was responsible for subdividing the land known as ‘Dight’s Paddock’, bounded by Hoddle Street, Johnston Street, Alexandra Parade and the Yarra. The origin of most of the street names in the subdivision have been a mystery to us, apart from Trenerry Crescent, Abbott Street and Turner Street, but now all, with the exception of Maugie Street, has been revealed!

If you want to read more about the history of Dight’s Paddock, follow this link to the notes from our 2019 History Walk, which covered this area in detail.

https://collingwoodhs.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2019-Walk-Collingwood-History-Walk-2019-Extended-notes.pdf

 LULIE STREET & RICH STREET
Edwin married Louisa Rich after returning to England. LULIE is a shortened form of Louisa.

ABBOTT STREET
Surname of David Abbott, Edwin’s solicitor in Victoria.
ABBOT GROVE
In the original subdivision this was the continuation of ABBOTT STREET but was split off when the railway line was built.  
TRURO STREET
Truro is the main town near where Edwin grew up in Cornwall, England.
MAUGIE STREET
 This is still a mystery. A possible theory, but with no specific evidence, is that it may relate to a WILLIAM MAUGHAN, who was mining in the Ballarat district at the same time as Trenerry.
BATH STREET
Named after Thomas Bath. An associate of Edwin Trenerry in Ballarat and who also came from the Parish of St Clement, near Truro, Cornwall, England.
In 1853 Bath commenced business as a hotelkeeper in Lydiard street, Ballarat, at the premises now known as Craig’s Royal Hotel. Originally known as “The Ballarat,” in 1854 this title was changed to “Bath’s”. Mr Bath retired from the hotel business in 1857, when the property was taken over by Mr Craig. The lane beside Craig’s Hotel is called BATH LANE.

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. History Walk

    14 November @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
  2. End of Year Meeting

    21 December @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Share This