Hotel:Burke and Wills Hotel
 Victoria Street (northeast corner of Little Charles Street)
Burke and Wills Hotel (1862 - 1918)
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1311, 1901
This hotel was a brick building (Rate Book 1864) with three sitting rooms and four bedrooms.
The name commemorates the ill-fated expedition led in 1860-61 by Robert O'Hara Burke and William John Wills with the intention of crossing Australia from Melbourne in the south to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the north.
Like most hotels of the time, it was used for a variety of public meetings:
"A meeting of ratepayers of East Collingwood who feel aggrieved at the additional burden proposed to be imposed upon the burgesses by the borough council in the shape of an additional rate of 10d in 1 pound, assembled to the number of about 150 at the Burke and Wills Hotel, Simpson's-rd last evening for the purpose of getting up a protest against the additional taxation'."
( The Argus 12 September 1871)