32 Peel Street
Barnard's Hotel (1869 - 1914)
In 1871 Barnard applied to change the name to Barnard's Family Hotel, but there is no indication that this was put into effect.
Part B, pp. 454-455
Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed within precinct
Individually significant within HO318
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1201, 1899
William Barnard, a baker, owned a three-roomed timber shop on this site in 1868. The following year he built three brick shops, the corner one of which became the hotel. Barnard was the licensed victualler for many years, and also continued to conduct his business as a baker, pastrycook and confectioner until his death at the age of 74 in 1902. Barnard's probate documents include a detailed list of all the contents, ranging from the bakery cart and horse, to jars of jam, from bottles of liquor to numbers of glasses. The hotel and shops were bequeathed to his housekeeper Ann Dougherty, who shortly afterwards married James Condon. The couple continued the hotel and bakery businesses until the hotel was closed by the Licenses Reduction Board in 1914.
The hotel and adjacent shops form a pleasing example of bi-chrome brickwork. This is a building style for which the Collingwood Slope is noted, used in buildings ranging from the towering Yorkshire Brewery to small cottages.