Hotel:Royal George Hotel
Hoddle Street, southwest corner Gipps Street
Royal George Hotel (1854 - 1925)
Demolished by 1971 for the widening of Hoddle Street
Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1210, 1899
The first publican, John Whiteoak, ran into financial difficulties by 1855, when an auction was held of all the furniture, stock-in-trade, and effects of the hotel, including, rather surprisingly, 50 loads of bluestone (pitchers, etc). He must have recovered from this setback as he was soon running the pub again.
In May 1857 the workmen connected with the erection of the Studley Park bridge dined together in celebration of the event at the Royal George. ( The Argus, May, 1937, '80 years ago').
The hotel was auctioned at the end of 1925, described as a well built two storey stone and brick building including a bar, billiard room, dining room, nine bedrooms, bathroom, lavatory, etc, on land 43 feet by 123 feet. ( The Argus, 16 December 1925, p. 2).