Hotel:Sir John Franklin Hotel
75a-77 Victoria Parade
Sir John Franklin Hotel (1853 - 1925)
Part C, pp. 635-636
Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed within precinct
Individually significant within HO336
Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1208, 1899
The old stone hotel was replaced in the later nineteenth century by a richly ornamented Italianate style two-storey building which incorporated a shop. The building remains substantially intact as a distinctive nineteenth century facet of the character of Victoria Parade, although the stucco has been painted and some minor alterations made.
John and Elizabeth Davison were associated with the hotel from 1853. Mrs Davison took over as licensee in 1862 after her husband's death and remained in charge until 1899.
Sir John Franklin was a well-known explorer who was also Governor of Tasmania from 1836 to 1843.