Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working meeting

    14 June @ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
  2. AGM and Guest speaker

    9 August @ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
  3. Working meeting

    11 October @ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm
  4. Annual History Walk

    11 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  5. End of year meeting and Christmas breakup

    13 December @ 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm

Site Categories

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Alliance Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Northwest corner Cambridge and Derby Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Alliance Hotel (1869 - 1871)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1869

When Delicensed:

1871

Status of Building:

Demolished between 1872 and 1889. Corner shop now on site has date 1889 on pediment.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: N/A

Comments:

In The Argus of 4 December 1869, the publican advertised that he wanted to purchase 'a good second-hand beer-engine'. (p. 7)

Hotel:Ayrshire Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

52A Palmer Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Ayrshire Arms Hotel (1871 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1871

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

residence

Rebuilt/Altered:

Corner doorway bricked up, later window added facing Perry Street

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part B, pp. 430-431

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899.

Comments:

There are a number of large and ornate hotels in Collingwood; this small mid-Victorian hotel is at the other end of the spectrum. Its restrained architectural details, size, and location in a minor street are indicative of a type of hotel serving a localised clientele, probably in humble circumstances. Most hotels of this type were de-licensed in the early twentieth century, and many were demolished. That this one remains is a lucky chance for us to gain some insight into a past lifestyle.

At the Licenses Reduction Board hearing in 1908

Arthur Darby, licensee, said he had a fair class of customers amongst the labouring classes. Very few of the 'belltopper gentlemen' came to his hotel. He denied that the hotel was damp. In reply to Inspector Dungey, witness said he had done some Sunday trading, but a few Sundays ago Constable Roxby visited the hotel and gave him a scare. Since then he had not done any but had taken a position as driver for a cordial manufacturer, so as to make up for the loss which he was sustaining through abstaining from Sunday trading.
The Argus, 28 February 1908. p. 9

Shortly after giving up its licence, the hotel was auctioned with the following description: 'Delicensed hotel... very substantial, brick, slated, one-storey building, 9 rooms; in good repair; now let at 2 pounds weekly... well-adapted for business and residence.' ( The Argus, 23 December 1908, p.2)

Hotel:Baden Powell Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

61 Victoria Parade
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Baden Powell Hotel (1900 to present)

Previous Name(s):

New Bendigo Hotel (1872 - 1899)

When Built/Licenced:

1872

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Renovated during the inter-war period in the Moderne style; windows later altered

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part C, pp. 633-634

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO 336

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899.

Comments:

Almost the first publican was Yorkshireman Joseph Brownhill, who was at the helm from 1873 until his death in 1891, when, in a common pattern for publicans, his wife Fanny took over. Brownhill had previously been licensee at the Norfolk Hotel in Easey Street.

The name of this hotel was changed in 1900 to commemorate Robert Baden-Powell. During the Second Boer War, Baden-Powell became a national hero for his role in the Siege of Mafeking, 1899-1900, the most famous British action in the Second Boer War.

The hotel was renovated again in 2008-2009; with the exception of enlarged ground floor windows, the exterior has not greatly changed.

Hotel:Barnard's Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

32 Peel Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Barnard's Hotel (1869 - 1914)

Previous Name(s):

In 1871 Barnard applied to change the name to Barnard's Family Hotel, but there is no indication that this was put into effect.

When Built/Licenced:

1869

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Commercial premises

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part B, pp. 454-455

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed within precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO318

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1201, 1899

Comments:

William Barnard, a baker, owned a three-roomed timber shop on this site in 1868. The following year he built three brick shops, the corner one of which became the hotel. Barnard was the licensed victualler for many years, and also continued to conduct his business as a baker, pastrycook and confectioner until his death at the age of 74 in 1902. Barnard's probate documents include a detailed list of all the contents, ranging from the bakery cart and horse, to jars of jam, from bottles of liquor to numbers of glasses. The hotel and shops were bequeathed to his housekeeper Ann Dougherty, who shortly afterwards married James Condon. The couple continued the hotel and bakery businesses until the hotel was closed by the Licenses Reduction Board in 1914.

The hotel and adjacent shops form a pleasing example of bi-chrome brickwork. This is a building style for which the Collingwood Slope is noted, used in buildings ranging from the towering Yorkshire Brewery to small cottages.

Hotel:Bell Inn

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Perry Street, outhwest corner Palmer Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Bell Inn (1860 - 1871)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1860

When Delicensed:

1871

Status of Building:

Demolished before 1899

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: N/A

Comments:

Brick building with 11 rooms (Rate Book 1867). Not long after opening the Bell Inn was embroiled in a public controversy, played out in the East Collingwood courthouse and the pages of The Argus.

GUARDIANS OF THE PUBLIC MORALS

To the Editor of The Argus

Sir, _ As the police force are paid by the public for performing certain duties, I think it is but right that those duties should be performed in a manner quite different from the following.

On the evening of 2nd instant a sergeant and constable (both on duty) were drinking at the bar of the Bell Inn, Perry-street, East Collingwood, for upwards of two hours. The constable was afterwards carried home drunk by his wife, and had been previously seen rolling drunk in the public street with the landlord of the hotel.

AN OBSERVER

( The Argus, 9 July 1860, p. 5)

Landlord Samuel Colls responded angrily in print the following day, denying these allegations. The case against sergeant James Burns and constable Philip Meade was heard in court in what was described by The Argus as a 'peculiar and important case' and reported in great detail the following day. The charges were dismissed. ( The Argus 25 July 1860, p. 7).

Hotel:Bendigo Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

125 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Bendigo Hotel (1888 - present)

Previous Name(s):

Collingwood Arms Hotel (1871-1887)

When Built/Licenced:

1871

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Demolished and rebuilt 1911

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part A, pp. 282-284

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed within precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: 1197 & 1198, 1899 (Note wrongly labelled Bedford Hotel)

Comments:

Carlton Brewery bought the hotel in 1887. They demolished and replaced the old two-storey corner building in 1911, after purchasing additional land to increase the exposure to Johnston Street. The current hotel was built in an Art Nouveau influenced style, designed by Sydney Smith and Ogg.

An excellent photograph taken by Wolfgang Sievers in 1964 shows the distinctive 1911 style as it was meant to look. By the time John T Collins photographed the building in the early 1980s, paintwork had obscured the distinctive red brick and cement exterior but the overall design with two corner towers remains very striking.

The current hotel has a website at http://www.bendigohotel.com.au

Hotel:Beresford Arms Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Langridge Street, northeast corner Rokeby Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Beresford Arms Hotel (1868 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

18681908

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

n/A

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1201, 1899

Comments:

The hotel opened in 1868 with a bar, two sitting rooms and three bedrooms. Local drinkers were well-served, as the Lord Nelson was already situated on the southeast corner of the intersection. It was closed by a ruling of the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, when it was described as a very old, dilapidated, one-storey wooden structure, very poorly furnished. Constable Carlin stated that during the last seven years the hotel had been noted for trading in prohibited hours. Whenever he approached the place on Sundays, a number of men round about it scurried away, and it was common to see people coming through holes in the fence which enclosed a vacant piece of land adjoining the hotel. Another deposition described the Beresford Arms as 'the meeting place of undesirable characters, particularly after dark and on Sundays'. ( The Argus, 19 February 1908, p. 4)

It was hardly surprising, after such evidence, that the hotel was ordered to be closed.

Hotel:Brandon Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

84 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Brandon Hotel (1897 - 1914)

Previous Name(s):

City of Norwich Hotel (1865 - 1867), Gray's Hotel (1868 - 1872), London Hotel (1873 - 1880), Our Boys Hotel (1880), Flying Squadron Hotel (1881 - 1896)

When Built/Licenced:

1865

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Commercial premises

Rebuilt/Altered:

1870s?

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1208, 1899

Comments:

The 1867 rate book describes this as a six-roomed brick hotel, conducted by Mary Ann Tonkin. The existing building is certainly the same one that was there in the 1880s, but seems likely to have been re-built, perhaps in the early 1870s, as it is now one of a very similar group of shops which replaced shops which in 1867 were of timber construction.

The hotel changed publicans even more frequently than it changed its name. Luckily William Cuffley was there for long enough to have a photo taken for posterity. By 1883 Cuffley, who had operated a number of hotels around Melbourne and from 1878 until 1882 had been licensee at Steeth's Family Hotel in Wellington Street, was ensconced at the Flying Squadron where he stayed for four years. Family reminiscence has him as a kind and jovial sort of fellow - well suited to the role of publican. Alongside William and his wife in the photograph dating from the mid 1880s is his niece Emma Rosina Evans, whom he had taken in after she was widowed. The name of the hotel at this time refers to a British naval squadron.

Hotel:Bristol and Bath Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

66 Cromwell Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Bristol and Bath Hotel (1869 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1869

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Boutique bordello

Rebuilt/Altered:

c. 1879

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 2, Building Citations, Part 1, pp. 101-102

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

HO 97 individually significant

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson: 1858: N ; MMBW map: Detail Plan 1210, 1899 (named Bath Hotel)

Comments:

A stone hotel was on this site from at least 1869, but was re-built at some stage, possibly around 1879 (as evidenced by an increase in rateable value). In 1903 it was acquired by the Shamrock Brewery and in 1908 by Carlton & United Breweries. After de-licensing it became a residence.

The building is of local architectural significance, a free standing two storey symmetrical Italianate brick building with restrained decoration. It is particularly noteworthy nowadays that most surrounding nineteenth century housing has been demolished, leaving it standing in the midst of unprepossessing twentieth century industrial development as a testament to a lifestyle long gone.

Hotel:British Crown Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

14 Smith Street, northeast corner Mason Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

British Crown Hotel (2008 - present)

Previous Name(s):

British Crown Hotel (1860 - 1983), Smith Street Bar & Bistro (1984 - 2008)

When Built/Licenced:

1859-1860

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Extended to include numbers 16 and 18.

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1208, 1899

Comments:

James Cattach was the first publican from 1859 to 1867, and again from 1873 to 1877. In the twentieth century the Roberts family ran this hotel for 74 years. Catherine Roberts arrived from Sydney in the early 1900s, took over the upbringing of her recently orphaned four nieces and a nephew, and bought a pub. Her nephew Jack took over the licence in 1956, and he and his sister Katherine Hackett ran the place until August 1982, with irregular assistance from sisters Noreen, Joan and Pattie.

When my mother died auntie brought the five of us up. We lived above the hotel and boarded at Star of the Sea. The pub was a tiny little place then. We built on as the years went by. Aunty was a wonderful woman, one of those people everyone admired. She kept us kids out of the bar... we used to peep around the door to see what was going on. Everyone called her Aunt - it was known as Aunt's hotel and after her death as Jack's hotel. She was very regal. She'd tap on the counter and say "Come on now boys, you go home" I don't remember Collingwood being a tough place ... This block in Smith Street was really lovely then... It was a real community. Everyone knew each other.... Smith Street used to be so busy, you couldn't move here on a Friday night before the war, when there was late night shopping. It used to be good fun, we had a lovely crowd. They just went mad when Collingwood won the Premiership. We had to close at 6 pm, but people would dance in the streets.
(The Melbourne Times, 18 August 1982, pp. 1, 7)

After a period of time during which it was called the Smith Street Bar and Bistro, the hotel reverted to its original name in 2008.

Share This