Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working Meeting

    21 October @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  2. Annual History Walk

    9 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Exchange Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Perry Street, south side between Bedford & Wellington streets
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Exchange Hotel (1868 - 1875)

Previous Name(s):

Sawyers Arms Hotel (1854 - 1867)

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

1875

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900 (possibly - not identified)

Comments:

A wooden hotel with nine rooms (Rate Book 1867). The first publican was Edward Jones; in the 1860s Elijah Horwood was the licensee here before moving to the Commercial Hotel Smith Street in 1869.

In October 1871 there was an auction of furniture and fittings at the hotel; these included a bagatelle table with its cues, balls and fittings; parlour, dining room and bedroom furniture; bar utensils and fixtures, beer engine, and plated ware; kitchen requisites. All were to be sold without reserve, cash sales only. ( The Argus, 7 October 1871, p. 2).

In May of the following year the building itself was put up for sale by auctioneer G.D. Langridge, because the owner John Barnett was moving to Sydney. On land 50 feet by 100 feet, the 'most desirable property' was leased for five years at 52 pounds per annum and described as 'well worthy the attention of brewers, capitalists, etc, as a snug trade is always to be commanded, being immediately at the rear of the Court-house, Council chambers, &c'. ( The Argus, May 1872, p. 3)

Despite these advantages, the hotel ceased to function within a few years of the auction. Later uses of timber buildings in the vicinity included a night shelter for men, owned by Miss Singleton, and a laundry, but so far it has not been possible to establish whether either of these took over the old hotel.

Hotel:Fox Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

351 Wellington Street, corner Alexandra Parade (formerly Reilly Street)
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Fox Hotel (2007 to present)

Previous Name(s):

Fox's Hotel (1871-1882), Tower Hotel (1882 - c.1992), Office Inn (199?-2007)

When Built/Licenced:

1871

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Enlarged at some time after the 1890s photo was taken; renovated in the interwar period

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO 321

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1214, 1900

Comments:

In 1882 its name was changed to the Tower Hotel, a reference to the nearby Shot Tower, which was built in 1882. (See Shot tower)

The current owner has gone back to the hotel's origins for a choice of name.

Hotel:Gasometer Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

484 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Gasometer Hotel (2010 to present)

Previous Name(s):

Gasometer Hotel (1861 - c.1997), Irish Murphy's (c.1997 - 2000), Father Flanagan's Hotel (c.2001 - 2010)

When Built/Licenced:

1860/1861

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part C, pp. 552-555

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1214, 1900

Comments:

In 1859 architect Alfred Kursteiner invited tenders for the erection of a public house for Mr C. A. Mater. ( The Argus, 15 June 1859). The owner was Charles Mater, who owned a large tract of land bounded by Reilly Street (now Alexandra Parade) and Smith Street, and after whom Mater Street was named. The hotel's name is a reminder of the former Collingwood, Fitzroy and District Gas and Coke Company , which was established in 1859 and commenced supply from its works (diagonally opposite the hotel) in May 1861. However there was no denying that at the time of its erection, the hotel was in an area that was under-populated, and it was advertised with the following inducements:

To LET, on LEASE, erected as a pioneer to the settlement of a populous neighbourhood. The whole paddock adjoining is surveyed, with plans for sale in allotments at a low price with deferred payments. The new market contiguous is fenced. The great and increasing traffic of Smith-street, with the numerous employees at the gasworks, give assurance for the establishment of a good business within a short period.

( The Argus, 20 March 1860, p. 1)

The promised trade may not have eventuated, as there was a rapid turnover of publicans in the first few years. James Lawlor, James Crawley, and George Pashley followed one another in quick succession, while by August 1865 Mater and Co were again advertising it to let. By 1869 it was bought by Richard Benham who was also the licensee; it remained in Benham family ownership into the twentieth century.

The hotel is stuccoed stone and brick. The corner splay is emphasized with quoins and pilasters. After some years' flirtation with Irish-themed names, the hotel has recently returned to its original name.

Hotel:George Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

31 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

George Hotel (1906 - 1914)

Previous Name(s):

Court House Hotel (1865 - 1895), Federation (1899 - 1906)

When Built/Licenced:

1865

When Delicensed:

1914

Status of Building:

Commercial premises and cafe

Rebuilt/Altered:

1939/1954

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO 324; Appendix 7, pp. 321-323

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

he hotel was sited next door to the original East Collingwood Court House which gave the proprietor an obvious choice of name, and no doubt contributed to the custom. By the end of the century the court function had moved to the new Town Hall in Hoddle Street and the old court room was occupied by the Collingwood Working Men's Club, so the impending federation of states provided another choice of name.

The hotel was closed by the Licenses Reduction Board in 1914, along with seven other hotels in the Barkly and Darling Wards.

Most people walking past this building would assume the Victorian era pub was gone, because the frontage is composed of shops and office in a distinctive Moderne design (with later alterations). However a closer look reveals original chimneys and roof behind this facade, and peeking through the gate on the old carriageway on the west side gives the curious researcher gives a few more glimpses of the former hotel. The building became part of a larger complex of neighbouring buildings housing Gregory Steel Products until the1960s.

Hotel:Glasshouse Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

51-55 Gipps Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Glasshouse Hotel (1853 to present)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1853

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

1918

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 2, Building Citations, Part 1, pp. 135-136

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

HO103. Individually significant.

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y (not named) ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899

Comments:

The original hotel on this site was built of brick, and its name refers to the nearby Glass House, one of Collingwood's earliest factories, in Glasshouse Lane, near the Rokeby Street corner. The surrounding electoral subdivision was named North Glasshouse.

In 1908, at the Licenses Reduction Board hearing, it was claimed that the present licensee was a teetotaller who was conducting the hotel better than it had been for 30 years past. The hotel was 'in the centre of a thickly populated locality' and there had been absolutely no Sunday trading since Robert Muirhead took charge, and business had increased.

The Chairman:- Increased trade after stoppage of Sunday trading! That ought to be made widely known. The moral effect would be considerable, I am sure. (Laughter)

( The Argus, 19 February 1908, p. 4)

The Glasshouse was permitted to continue trading. Carlton & United Breweries acquired the old hotel in 1910, and rebuilt in 1917-18.

The current building, despite some alterations, remains an eye-catching and unusual late Edwardian structure. The ground floor walls were originally face brick while the upper floor employed roughcast. There is a brown glazed tiled dado with decorative top and bottom courses. The roughcast has been painted over and some windows have been altered.

Hotel:Gloucester Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[291] Hoddle Street, on the northwest corner of Perry Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Gloucester Hotel (1858 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

Sometimes referred to as the Gloucester Arms

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Demolished. Site is now part of the road

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

A two-storeyed brick hotel.

At the Licenses Reduction Board hearing, licensee Mrs Jane Carpenter admitted that she frequently talked to friends through the open window on Sundays, but denied that any trading went on. Other witnesses gave evidence as to the good conduct of the hotel, and the 'public convenience it served, particularly in connection with sports gatherings on the Victoria-park.' ( The Argus, 7 March 1908, p. 22)

The background to this comment was that in 1903 Collingwood Council had abolished the sale of intoxicating liquor at the Victoria Park football and cricket ground. This led to the lengthening of the half-time interval to facilitate the exodus to the convivial atmosphere of local pubs, while those who stayed at the ground were kept amused by such entertainments as brass bands, boomerang throwing and foot races.

Hotel:Good Woman Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Sackville Street, southeast corner of Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Good Woman Hotel (1866)

Previous Name(s):

Old Gold-diggers Hotel (1865 - 1866)

When Built/Licenced:

1865

When Delicensed:

1866

Status of Building:

Demolished by around 1915, when the building now number 358 Smith Street was built.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1238, 1900 (?)

Comments:

This building was a grocer's in 1864 before its brief life as a hotel, then a grocer's again, later becoming a greengrocer's for most of the remainder of the nineteenth century. The shop with a cellar, shown on the 1900 MMBW map as 358 Smith Street, may be the former hotel building.

Hotel:Grace Darling Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

114 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Grace Darling Hotel (1854 to present)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

1920s extensions on the Peel Street frontage.

Heritage Victoria Register:

VHR H0660

National Trust Register:

B3840

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part C, pp. 574-576

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed under precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

HO135, VHR

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1208, 1899

Comments:

As one of the few remaining 1850s hotels in Melbourne and one of the earliest surviving buildings in Collingwood, the Grace Darling is of both local and Melbourne-wide significance, providing a striking remnant of the early years of Melbourne's suburban development and an excellent example of an early stone building in Collingwood.

It is also famous as the site of the 1892 meeting associated with the eventual formation of the Collingwood Football Club.

Designed by George Wharton, the first owner and publican was Thomas Risby (from Tasmania). The Risby family owned the property until around 1870. Patrick Coyle, owner of the nearby Albion Hotel, was the publican from 1869 to 1879.

Built of bluestone, the hotel features Tasmanian sandstone door and window surrounds. Sydney Smith, Ogg and Serpell designed the surprisingly sympathetic 1920s extensions.

Its name commemorates the heroine of the wreck of the "Forfarshire" in 1838.

Hotel:John Barleycorn Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

177-181 Johnston Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

John Barleycorn Hotel (1974 - present)

Previous Name(s):

City Hotel (1878 - 1973)

When Built/Licenced:

1876/78

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Alterations to exterior perhaps 1920s; ground floor exterior altered more recently

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Contributory to HO 324

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1197 & 1198, 1899

Comments:

Although the building has the date 1868 on the pediment, no evidence has yet been found to indicate that the hotel began operating before 1878, when Mrs Harriet Pryde was the publican. Mrs Pryde was unsuccessful in her first attempt to obtain a licence in December 1876, on the grounds of insufficient accommodation. She remained the publican until late in the nineteenth century, and the hotel was as frequently referred to as Pryde's Hotel or Pryde's Family Hotel as the City Hotel. It had a strong association with local sporting groups, being a popular venue for various cricket club meetings and for dinners provided by Mrs Pryde to the Abbotsford Football Club and the Collingwood Football Club.

The upstairs windows were re-modelled around the 1920s, and modern alterations to the ground floor windows have created a rather uninviting exterior.

Hotel:Junction Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[229] Victoria Parade, northwest corner of Hoddle Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Junction Hotel (1870 - 1970)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1870

When Delicensed:

1970

Status of Building:

Demolished 1971 for the widening of Hoddle Street

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N; Hodgkinson 1858: N; MMBW: Detail Plan 1210, 1899

Comments:

Hoddle Street was widened from Victoria Parade to Alexandra Parade in the early 1970s. All buildings on the west side of the road were demolished. We are lucky that the Collingwood and Fitzroy Courier photographer was out and about on the day that it was being wrecked.

Share This