Search the Hotels Database

Follow Us

Upcoming Events

  1. Working Meeting

    21 October @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  2. Annual History Walk

    9 November @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Palmerston Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[45] Wellington Street, west side between Victoria Parade and Derby
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Palmerston Hotel (1866 - 1868)

Previous Name(s):

Hancock's Family Hotel (1854 - 1866)

When Built/Licenced:

1854/1855

When Delicensed:

1868

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: N/A

Comments:

Described as brick in the 1864 rate book, and stone in the 1867 rate book, it was owned and operated by Albert Hancock in its first few years of existence. At the licenses hearing in 1855, a Mr Dyne opposed Hancock's application on the grounds that another hotel was not needed in the neighbourhood, there being others within a few yards. A Mr Stephen and a Mr Read supported the application: it was stated that the applicant, who had been a commander of a vessel, had laid out all his means in the erection of the hotel. ( The Argus, 7 March 1855, p. 5).

In November 1868 an auction was held at the Palmerston Hotel of surplus household furniture, a billiard table, and a six-pull beer-engine ( The Argus, 3 November 1868, p. 3). The Lady Franklin was only a few doors to the south, and in 1868 the Caledonian, later the Vine Hotel, opened up a few doors to the north - perhaps even in busy Wellington Street the competition was too fierce.

Hotel:Phoenix Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

267 Wellington Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Phoenix Hotel (1885 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

Woodthorpe Hotel (1875-1885)

When Built/Licenced:

1875

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Residential

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1237, 1900

Comments:

This hotel opened in the same year as Steeth's Family Hotel, just after Wellington Street was extended from Johnston Street towards Clifton Hill. Nowadays the corner door opening has been filled in and the ground floor window frames altered, but otherwise Michael Torpey, publican from 1887 until 1892, could return to his hotel today and have no trouble recognising the exterior, although he might be a little surprised by the paint colours.

Hotel:Post Office Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[104] Smith Street, between the Grace Darling Hotel & Mac's Hotel
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Post Office Hotel (1866 - 1868)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1866

When Delicensed:

1868

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: N/A

Comments:

This short-lived wooden ten-roomed hotel was listed in the Sands & McDougall Directories and council ratebooks of 1867 and 1868. At the time most of the shops in this section of Smith Street were early wooden structures, soon to be replaced by brick and stucco. On 7 March 1868 auctioneer Alfred Cooper auctioned the furniture and stock of the hotel 'on account of the proprietor leaving the colony'. ( The Argus, 7 March 1868, page 2).

This hotel is not to be confused with a hotel of the same name on the Fitzroy side of Smith Street from 1871 onwar

Hotel:Prince of Wales Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[22] Otter Street, opposite Napoleon Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Prince of Wales Hotel (1853 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1853

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

A brick hotel (Rate Book 1864), closed by the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908, its site is now part of the NMIT campus.

The image of the jolly publican was not always accurate as the following article shows; it is also a reminder that one of the sadder functions of hotels was as the venue for inquests:

Last Saturday morning a most determined suicide occurred in the Yarra near Johnston Street Bridge... With the assistance of a boat hook the body was brought on to the bank and then conveyed to the Early Bird hotel where it was identified as that of Stephen Hannaway, licensee of the Prince of Wales... [At the inquest] it was stated that the deceased had of late shown symptoms of unsoundness of mind and the verdict was that the deceased committed suicide whilst labouring under temporary insanity.

Mercury and Weekly Courier, 31 Aug 1878, p. 2

A later publican, Charles Pugh, who presided in the 1880s, was more successful, being complimented by the magistrate on the way he conducted his house, dealing with larrikins demanding free drinks, and hosting supper meetings for the Fitzroy Lodge of Instruction, a Masonic group of which he was a member.

Hotel:Prince Patrick Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

135-141 Victoria Parade
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Prince Patrick Hotel (1882 to present)

Previous Name(s):

Lancashire Arms (1865) , Serle's (1866 - 1867) , Galatea (1867 - 1872), Armstrong's Hotel (1873 - 1874), New Sydney (1875 - 1882). Note there is some inconsistency in naming in different sources around 1865 to 1867.

When Built/Licenced:

1865

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Rebuilt 1887

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part C, pp. 637-639

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 2, Building Citations, Part II, pp. 359-360

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

HO138. Individually significant

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899

Comments:

The Prince Patrick was re-built in 1887 in a highly ornamented Italianate style, incorporating two shops on the Victoria Parade frontage. The firm of Ravenscroft and Freeman may have been the architects. It remains substantially intact externally and is a prominent and decorative element in the Victoria Parade landscape.

Hotel:Punters Palace

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

314 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Punters Palace (post 1995 - present)

Previous Name(s):

Albion Hotel (1874/75 - 1989); Albion Inn (c.1990 - c.1995)

When Built/Licenced:

1874

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part C, p. 569, p. 586

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 3, Appendix B, individually listed under precinct

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

On a corner site with a notable richly-decorated design including decorative use of grapes and vine leaves, the hotel was built for Patrick Coyle who had previously owned a house on the site. The first licensee was Patrick Devern.

Share This