Search the Hotels Database

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Earl of Zetland Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Stanley Street, north side opposite Little Oxford Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Earl of Zetland Hotel (1855 - 1925)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1855

When Delicensed:

1925

Status of Building:

Demolished

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900

Comments:

A substantial three-story corner stone building. The first publican was Samuel Turner, who was active in the Licensed Victuallers' Association. IN the 1870s it advertised 'furnished bedrooms 5s each with or without board'

Hotel:Exchange Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

ambridge Street, northwest corner of Mason Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Exchange Hotel (1866 - 1871)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1866

When Delicensed:

1871

Status of Building:

Demolished c.1873. The State school built on the site opened in September 1877.

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

Maps:

N/A

Comments:

Following the passing of the 1872 Education Act, the authorities investigated suitable buildings and sites in the area for the large new school which would be necessary to house the additional children attending compulsory school. Existing school buildings were deemed unsuitable, and towards the end of 1873 the Ministry of Education began the process of purchasing freehold properties in the block bounded by Cambridge Street and Mason Street, including this timber building with seven rooms (Rate Book 1867). Mr Upton, who was the last publican, may have wished he had been able to wait for the opportunity. In 1870 he was charged with Sunday trading; in 1871 he was declared insolvent, the cause being cited as 'dullness of trade'. ( The Argus, 25 January 1871, supplement p. 2).

Hotel:Exchange Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Perry Street, south side between Bedford & Wellington streets
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Exchange Hotel (1868 - 1875)

Previous Name(s):

Sawyers Arms Hotel (1854 - 1867)

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

1875

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1196, 1900 (possibly - not identified)

Comments:

A wooden hotel with nine rooms (Rate Book 1867). The first publican was Edward Jones; in the 1860s Elijah Horwood was the licensee here before moving to the Commercial Hotel Smith Street in 1869.

In October 1871 there was an auction of furniture and fittings at the hotel; these included a bagatelle table with its cues, balls and fittings; parlour, dining room and bedroom furniture; bar utensils and fixtures, beer engine, and plated ware; kitchen requisites. All were to be sold without reserve, cash sales only. ( The Argus, 7 October 1871, p. 2).

In May of the following year the building itself was put up for sale by auctioneer G.D. Langridge, because the owner John Barnett was moving to Sydney. On land 50 feet by 100 feet, the 'most desirable property' was leased for five years at 52 pounds per annum and described as 'well worthy the attention of brewers, capitalists, etc, as a snug trade is always to be commanded, being immediately at the rear of the Court-house, Council chambers, &c'. ( The Argus, May 1872, p. 3)

Despite these advantages, the hotel ceased to function within a few years of the auction. Later uses of timber buildings in the vicinity included a night shelter for men, owned by Miss Singleton, and a laundry, but so far it has not been possible to establish whether either of these took over the old hotel.

Share This