Search the Hotels Database

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Victoria Parade Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Victoria Parade, between Rupert & Rokeby streets
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Victoria Parade Hotel (1865 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

General Havelock Hotel (1858 - 1865)

When Built/Licenced:

1858

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899

Comments:

Hodgkinson's January 1858 map shows a building on the site, marked Rennison's Hotel. Thomas Rennison, also publican of the Lord Raglan Hotel on the Richmond corner of Hoddle Street and Victoria Street, owned this stone building (Rate Book 1864). This suggests the hotel had not yet been named when the map was prepared. General Havelock was a British general particularly associated with India. He died there in November 1857 shortly after the relief of Lucknow, so would have been in the news in 1858 when Rennison was considering what to call his new hotel. It was not long before the Collingwood Cricket Club began to hold meetings at the new pub.

An auction notice in The Argus in January 1873 indicates the difficulty with dating the change to hotel names; the hotel is described as 'the premises generally known as the General Havelock Hotel, but now called the Victoria Parade Hotel'.

Hotel:Victoria Park Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Hoddle Street, between Hotham Street & Alexandra Parade (formerly Reilly Street)
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Victoria Park Hotel (1901 - 1971)

Previous Name(s):

Highbury Barn Hotel (1854 - 1861), Albion Hotel (1862), Highbury Barn Hotel (1863 - 1901)

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

1971

Status of Building:

Demolished c.1972 for the widening of Hoddle Street

Rebuilt/Altered:

1954 alterations and additions cost 6000 pounds

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1234, 1901

Comments:

The two storey stone hotel was romantically depicted in a watercolour painted around 1855 and showing the hill rising towards Clifton Hill in the background. The rural scene, with cattle being driven along the road and goats and hens foraging beside the hotel, contrasts strongly with busy Hoddle Street today. The painting is attributed, on stylistic grounds, to Henry Gritten, who also painted the Galloway Arms in Johnston Street. The sign above the hotel door reads: 'William H. Maidment / licensed to retail fermented and spirituous liquors'.

Maidment was determined that his customers should enjoy themselves. In his first years at the hotel he advertised amusements such as the following:

QUOIT Match.-Six gentlemen of Collingwood are matched to play at Quoits, at twenty one yards distance against six of Melbourne, on Monday, the 21st day of August, at one o'clock. W.H. Maidment, Highbury Barn Hotel, Hoddle street, Collingwood.

The Argus, 15 August 1854, p. 3

OLD ENGLISH SPORTS, at the Highbury Barn Hotel, Hoddell-street (sic), Collingwood, on Boxing Day. Quoit Matches, Foot and Hurdle Races, Jumping in Sacks, a Bell Race, and Wheelbarrow Race, Blind-folded Racing for a Pig, to be caught by the tail, and various other amusements. N. B.-The choicest English ale and porter, wines, and spirits on hand. Anything but real amusement will be strictly prohibited by the proprietor. W. H. MAIDMENT.

The Argus, 26 December 1855, p. 8

Unfortunately by 1859 he was insolvent and the hotel was auctioned, described as built of stone on land 75 feet by 300 feet, with slate roof, containing a bar and 12 rooms. The furniture, stock-in-trade and effects were all to be sold, as were three vacant allotments behind the hotel: 25 feet by 100 feet each, in Forest, Bendigo and Hotham streets.

Victoria Park, the recreation ground destined to become the home of the mighty Magpies, had been so named by council in 1878, so this hotel took a while to follow suit.

Hotel:Vine Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

59 Wellington Street,
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Vine Hotel (1875 to present)

Previous Name(s):

Caledonian Hotel (1868), Eight Hours Hotel (1869 - 1875)

When Built/Licenced:

1868

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Rebuilt/Altered:

Early twentieth century

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

Part C, pp. 681-683

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

Volume 2, Building Citations, Part II, pp. 401-402

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

HO 140, individually significant

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: MMBW Detail plan 1208, 1899

Comments:

An earlier hotel on the site was briefly known as the Caledonian, then the Eight Hours before settling on the Vine.

Carlton Brewery bought the hotel in 1897 and eventually replaced it with the current building, a classically inspired Edwardian style designed by Sydney Smith and Ogg. It remains a good example of an Edwardian hotel with corner tower and Art Nouveau details, but the painting of the red brick surfaces has marred the appearance of the building.

Share This