Search the Hotels Database

Latest News

Follow Us

Collingwood Hotels Database search

Use the fields below to search our Collingwood Hotels database. It contains all the hotels in the Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford areas.

...

Hotel:Railway Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Hoddle Street, southwest corner Easey Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Railway Hotel (1886 - 1971)

Previous Name(s):

Butchers Arms Hotel (1871 - 1885)

When Built/Licenced:

1871

When Delicensed:

1971

Status of Building:

Demolished c.1971 for the widening of Hoddle Street

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N/A ; Hodgkinson 1858: N/A ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1236, 1901

Comments:

The Butchers Arms was first licensed in 1871 to John Counter whose wife Sarah conducted the business because he was 'blind, deaf and dumb, and had been bedridden for eight years'. Counter had previously been at the nearby Highbury Barn. He survived his infirmities until 1878, when Sarah became the official licensee, transferring the licence to W. Clark in 1882.

A ghastly accident took place in 1933. Samuel Nelson, the barman, was killed by electricity in the cellar. He went to the cellar to connect a barrel of beer with the lead pipe leading from the cellar to the bar. When he did not re-appear, the licensee Mr O'Connor went to the cellar and found Nelson sitting on the floor, dead, his hands still grasping the pipe line. An electrician investigated and found that the pipe was crossed by a house wire carrying a current of 230 volts. ( The Argus, 18 September 1933, p. 4)

Hotel:Rising Sun Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

[100] Oxford Street, Collingwood, east side, between Peel and Stanley streets
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Rising Sun Hotel (1867 - 1870)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1867

When Delicensed:

1870

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Not identifiable

Comments:

As the Foy and Gibson retail and manufacturing empire expanded, the company bought up properties in Oxford and Cambridge streets to demolish and replace with their factories and warehouses during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. While we can safely say that the site of the Rising Sun was eventually incorporated into the Foy and Gibson factory complex, whether the building was demolished at that time or earlier has yet to be ascertained.

Hotel:Robert Burns Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

376 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Robert Burns Hotel (1860 to present)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1860

When Delicensed:

N/A

Status of Building:

Existing hotel

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

Individually significant within HO333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1238, 1900

Comments:

Although the brickwork has been damaged by unsuitable renovation methods, and the ground level exterior has been modified to some extent to suit modern usage, this hotel presents substantially the same face to the world as it has done for many long years, with its corner splay, simple pediment, and typical hotel window layout.

In 2011 the hotel was closed for some months while further alterations and renovations were undertaken by the new owners.

Hotel:Rose of Denmark Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Description:
890-1894. Courtesy Royal Historical Society of Victoria
Hotel Address:

Wellington Street,southeast corner Gipps Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Rose of Denmark Hotel (1865 - 1908)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1865

When Delicensed:

1908

Status of Building:

Demolished

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1209, 1899

Comments:

A two storey brick hotel which was involved with a Sunday trading charge within a year of opening. Publican Ellen Power was charged 5 pounds, a much higher fine than was usual. At the time of delicensing it was owned by Carlton & United Breweries.

A number of English pubs are called the Rose of Denmark, and the name is believed to refer to Alexandra, Princess of Wales, who was born in Denmark and in 1863 married the prince who became Edward VII in 1901.

Hotel:Royal George Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

Hoddle Street, southwest corner Gipps Street
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Royal George Hotel (1854 - 1925)

Previous Name(s):

N/A

When Built/Licenced:

1854

When Delicensed:

1925

Status of Building:

Demolished by 1971 for the widening of Hoddle Street

Rebuilt/Altered:

N/A

Heritage Victoria Register:

n

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

N/A

Maps:

Kearney 1855: Y ; Hodgkinson 1858: Y ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1210, 1899

Comments:

The first publican, John Whiteoak, ran into financial difficulties by 1855, when an auction was held of all the furniture, stock-in-trade, and effects of the hotel, including, rather surprisingly, 50 loads of bluestone (pitchers, etc). He must have recovered from this setback as he was soon running the pub again.

In May 1857 the workmen connected with the erection of the Studley Park bridge dined together in celebration of the event at the Royal George. ( The Argus, May, 1937, '80 years ago').

The hotel was auctioned at the end of 1925, described as a well built two storey stone and brick building including a bar, billiard room, dining room, nine bedrooms, bathroom, lavatory, etc, on land 43 feet by 123 feet. ( The Argus, 16 December 1925, p. 2).

Hotel:Royal Hotel

Suburb:Collingwood

Hotel Address:

390 (formerly 392) Smith Street, southeast corner Keele Street (formerly Ryrie Street)
Collingwood 3066
Australia
Map It

Most Recent Name:

Royal Hotel (1867 - 1919)

Previous Name(s):

Vincent's Hotel (1861 - 1867)

When Built/Licenced:

Built and licensed in 1861

When Delicensed:

1919

Status of Building:

Commercial premises

Rebuilt/Altered:

Early twentieth century

Heritage Victoria Register:

N/A

National Trust Register:

N/A

Collingwood Conservation Study 1989 & 1995:

N/A

City of Yarra Heritage Review 1998:

N/A

City of Yarra Review of Heritage Overlay Areas, 2007 & Heritage Database:

contributory to HO333

Maps:

Kearney 1855: N ; Hodgkinson 1858: N ; MMBW: Detail Plan 1238, 1900. Not named.

Comments:

Mr Vincent lived on this site before the hotel was built, being a blacksmith and then a grocer before building a hotel. Without further expert investigation it is hard to say whether his old pub was demolished and the current building, with its typically twentieth century architectural elements, was built from scratch, or whether the original building was substantially altered. The building footprint, corner doorway, brick rear side wall and foundations look as though they could belong to the earlier building. The City of Yarra heritage database describes the current building, now number 390 but originally 390 and 392, as dating from the 1900 to 1915 period. If this is correct, the building was rebuilt or remodelled during its life as a hotel, however since the neighbouring building was incorporated into the same building after it ceased trading as a hotel, the evidence seems a little contradictory.

Share This