Collingwood Notables Database
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7
Publican, Land Sale Agent
Frederick Warming’s Clifton Hill Hotel remains a Queens Parade landmark commemorating this man of many talents. Warming’s life encompassed working in various locations and different occupations including as an accountant in London, as a mounted policeman in South Australia and Victoria and as a coach owner in northern Victoria in addition to his local roles as publican and land sales agent.
Solicitor, landowner, subdivider
Richard Henry Way was a Sydney solicitor who purchased a large Collingwood landholding in Portion 74 from the original owner, David Chambers, who had obtained the land from the Crown in 1839. Despite never living in Collingwood, or indeed in Victoria, Way left a lasting influence on the street layout and block sizes of the area bounded by Hoddle, Johnston, Dight and Vere Streets and thus including Campbell, Palmer, Harmsworth, Francis, Sydney and Perry Streets. Harmsworth was his mother’s maiden name and three of his sons were named Francis, Sydney and Harmsworth.
Boot and shoe manufacturer
Arthur Whybrow built up one of the largest boot and shoe manufacturing businesses in Australia, and became not only a spokesman for the boot industry, but also an active community member. He was a member of the Collingwood Technical School Council and a Board member for the Alfred Hospital. The large Whybrow factory at 200 Hoddle St Abbotsford remains a prominent landmark.
Cricketer, sportswoman known as 'The female Bradman'
Betty was a born athlete, could run like a hare, had fantastic hand eye co-ordination, was a trailblazer for Women’s Cricket, and achieved many firsts in her short career of just 11 Test matches. She was one of the finest women’s cricketers the world has seen play.
Publican, liquor merchant, brewer, councillor, magistrate
John Wood left his home in Yorkshire and arrived in Australia in 1848, aged twenty two. After a stint as a timber merchant in Fitzroy, he purchased a two acre site on the eastern side of Wellington Street in Collingwood, where he became in succession, the owner of the Yorkshire Hotel, and the founder of the Yorkshire Brewery Company. He also owned a wine and spirits store in Peel Street, on the Wellington Street corner. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace and occupied a seat in the Council of the Borough of East Collingwood.
James was the fourth son of John Wood who was the owner of the Yorkshire Hotel, and the founder and senior partner of the Yorkshire Brewery Company. Despite his relative youth, James was the architect of Collingwood’s crowning industrial glory, the Yorkshire Brewery with its magnificent Brew Tower, completed in 1878 and still standing.
Bookmaker, tote operator, businessman, entrepreneur, racecourse owner, Collingwood Football Club supporter
Born of illiterate Irish immigrants (John Wren and his wife Margaret, formerly Nester) in Ballarat Street, Collingwood in 1871, John Wren like many Collingwood boys left school early and commenced his working life in the boot trade, working at Whybrow's boot factory. Some stories say that while there he added to his income by a small scale bookmaking operation. Others suggest that he worked for a bookie after his retrenchment from Whybrow's in the 1891/1892 economic slump. Another story is that it was a win on the Melbourne Cup that allowed him to set up his bookmaking business behind the facade of a shop (at various times described as selling tea or tobacco) in Johnston Street, Collingwood.